My Accord windows keep fogging up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ohmstable

Hey guys,

I have an issue with my 92 Honda Accord. Only really humid wet days all the windows keep fogging up from the inside. Even if the car is parked with no one in it, the windows will be fogged up. In the winter, there's frost on the inside of the windshield!! I remember someone telling me this may be because of a malfunctioning heater core or something but anyone know what the problem could be and how I should go about fixing it?

My guess is because the car is wet inside...during the winter its really easy to get wet inside, because the snow comes in by falling off your shoes, the heat melts the snow...and ect...if I were you I would wait till a nice sunny day and open up all the doors and air it out, also if you look under the car and there are a bunch of rust spots that could be a place its coming infrom. but also you can buy stuff for defoging helmuts and such...and spray that on the inside of your windows while your airing out your car, and the only way I believe it could be the heater core is if it smells like antifreeze when the heat is on, or no heat what so ever...hope this helps

a/c gets the windo clean real fast on hot, damp days. run the a/c on the defroster mode.

in the winter, it still works. the condensor takes the moisture out fo the air.

If I'm understand corretly, your Front Windshield is foggin up on you all the time no matter what you are doing to help it out.

I agree 100% it's the heater core. I had an 87 berretta that was experiencing this.
A few months latter the heater core basically reptured and leaked fluid in side the car and after it was fixed no more foggin of the windows.

To help ya out , and it sounds crazy, but when you have your defroster on turn the a/c on with it , it helps remove the humidity in the air and will defrost faster.

If you ever noticed all new honda automatically run the a/c unit whenm defrosting. not only does it help your windows to defrost faster, it all ensures that you use your a/c thru out the year to help keep the system from failing do to rotted out seals.

Originally posted by djyox@Aug 25 2003, 01:35 AM
My guess is because the car is wet inside...during the winter its really easy to get wet inside, because the snow comes in by falling off your shoes, the heat melts the snow...and ect...if I were you I would wait till a nice sunny day and open up all the doors and air it out...

:werd:

Is it me or does every Honda fog up really quick? My Sedan used to be horrible for fogging. Honda defrosters suck.

Here's the catch, my A/C doesn't work. I'll just try using some of that anti-fogging spray to clean the windows.

It sucks having to clean the inside of your winshield with a scrapper in the winter!
:(

thats what happens when two people combine body warmth in the back seat...............naked..............ya..................ha...............cool :p

If it were a window, you'd see water coming in. Same for the sunroof, if you have one. If it were from the heater core, you might be able to smell a sweet scent as it dries. I have a 92 Accord. Here is my suggestion. Does this happen even on dry days?
To check your windshield: Pour soapy water around the outside seal of the windshield as a friend (I did mine by myself) uses an air nozzle to shoot air at the seal from the inside. You will see air bubbles form on the outside in the soapy water.
Not it? If it is still warm: Bypass the heater core. Use a pipe fitting inbetween the two heater hoses. Cold as hell, no defrosters, try this at the appropriate time. If the car dries up, problem solved.
Still not it? The guy at the windshield shop told me that leaves, needles, dirt, etc. can clog up your cowl area in front of the windshield. This causes water to seep in through the heating system. Clean that area thoroughly.
The AC trick is a good one, I'd work on that.
Rainy boots could contribute, as could a leak in the trunk, holes in the floor. Look and feel for wet spots. Pick up the carpet, look around your spare tire.

By the way, if it is the heater core, have fun. I had to replace my blower motor twice, and it is a BEEEEOOOOTTCH. Period. I had to unbolt my dash, and space it away from the windshield with a chunk of pipe(3 inch). I believe you would have to do all that first, then take the core out. It's basically right behind your radio dude.

Back