My B16 Turbo 326hp 11psi

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sko0terMan

So i finally get enough money to dyno my car. The most boost that it could handle before it blew off the ic piping was 11psi. It made 326hp at 11psi. They told me to get better piping and then they could turn up the boost. So i go pick up my car last night and start to drive it home. it was running real nice( i wasnt able to step on it since i was in traffic). I get about 15 miles away from the shop and all of a sudden my car shuts off and wont restart. I get it towed to my shop and take it apart to find out that a valve broke. only one valve. So now i am out of my built motor. below are a couple pics of the damage.
100_0536.jpg

100_0522.jpg

100_0519.jpg

You got lucky as hell, no hole in the piston and the sleeve still looks good, also that head is completely fixable. Don't kick yourself cause i've seen broken valves make a b20 look like a blown up two stroke engine!

well the cylinder definitely needs to be honed...and a little more work to the head...maybe $800 bucks to fix (assuming you do all the non-machine work yourself).

it would be fixable if the valve didnt push the spark plug up. All of the threads for the spark plug are damaged. The block is ok just the sleeves need to be bored out.

i dont know if i would really trust that repair though. under boost can do a lot of weird things

yeah, i suppose youre right...it worked on my exhaust manifold though....and it worked on a main bolt on a SBC...at least i think it did...i havent talked to that dude in a while.

i would but there was a lot of port work that went into that head.

yea i have a spare sleeved ls block and another head that i am going to put together. i have to have it ready by saturday so i can get it dyno'd

That looks painful. #1, I would goto the machinist who built that head. No built b16 head will drop valves @ 11psi. Unless the tuner fucked up the timing I dont see it happening otherwise.

I dont think that it was the tuners fault at all. It sounded great on the dyno. I was on my way home when this happened. It looks like i got a defected valve. No other valves were damaged except the ones that got hit by the broken valve.

Then the problem is in the build. The valve guide probably wasnt seated. Only one valve dropped?

You can use a HeliCoil on the spark plug. Just put Green Loctite on the Helicoil when you insert it, and then obviously wait a long time before you reinsert the spark plug. you'll be fine.

Sorry to see this happen mang, where did you dyno the car???

You can use a HeliCoil on the spark plug. Just put Green Loctite on the Helicoil when you insert it, and then obviously wait a long time before you reinsert the spark plug. you'll be fine.

even under boost, you think it would hold?

Back