My CPU is FUCKED!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

hey guys, since i kno there are a couple of computer wizzes here i just wanted to ask, what the fuck is wrong with my computer???? i turned it on and it said, " Windows was shut down imporerly, please allow disk scan, etc...." so i decided to let it do its thing and it took like 1/2 hr.. after that, i came back and the whole screen was blank.. my computer light was flashing green periodically, so i held the power button down and it turned off.. now i cant even turn it back on.. it wont even power up.. i checked all the connections and i pulled and replugged everything and it still wont boot up.. its a AMD 2200+, 512DDRAM, and Windows XP Pro (with all the updates).. if someone PLEASE help, id be very grateful.. btw, im at my gfs house posting this because my computer is so messed up.. its bascially a piece of junk right now that cant even turn on..

that happened to me i just kept pressing the button over and over an over again until it cam back on. For the laptop try taking out the battery and then plug it into the wall boot by holding down the button shut down then put battery back in for charge. I hope this helps a little

Can you hear the CPU fan spinning? Did it burn out...had that happen to me when my water pump (yes, my computer is water cooled) died...I suggest you clear the BIOS...If you don't know what I'm talking about, then gently remove the "watch" battery on the motherboard wait a few minutes and reinstall the battery, then reboot...oh yeah, make sure you UNPLUG the computer from your power strip when you do this...

Keep us posted!

move the jumper on your mother board for your CMOS battery. J1 on most systems... should be 3 prongs... move it from | [] [] to [] [] | for example. consult your manual.
power on.
power off after you get nowhere (its supposed to do this)
replace jumper to orig position

hit f8 repeadetly
enter computer in "last known good configuration"
start/run/scanreg

this makes a backup of the registry

run virus scanners, adaware, etc if possible
reboot normally.

if it still doesn't work, post again

Originally posted by djyox@Sep 19 2003, 01:15 AM
I got a shot gun, you buy the shells and I'll fix it for you!

okay! i bet shot gun shells are cheaper than getting a computer fixed. ;) anyway, uhh sorry guys im TOTALLY computer deficent.. :huh: i have no idea what you guys are talking about :lol: .. and its a desktop.. anyway, imma print your suggestions and give it to a friend.. hes the one that built it for me and see how it goes.. and yeah it did smell really weird in my room.. like melted plastic or some crap.. oh yeah, does leaving your computer on too long fuck it up?? ive just gotten dsl not to long ago and have been leaving it on all day and all nite.. its not water cooler or anything, just got a regular fin..THANKS ALOT EVERYONE, i'll keep you guys posted and see wtf is wrong with it..

well we found the problem, it was my power supply.. can i fix it?? would it be hard?? anyway, i cant find one that fits my computer.. it suggestions on brand and where to get it?? its weird.. its the same size as my old one except it has an additional fan on top.. i took the little gaurd thing off and it still wouldnt fit.. hmmm

Nah, don't try to fix it...buy a cheap case that comes with a p/s, or buy/find a case that will accommodate both your mobo and p/s.

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Sep 25 2003, 03:39 PM
well we found the problem, it was my power supply.. can i fix it?? would it be hard?? anyway, i cant find one that fits my computer.. it suggestions on brand and where to get it?? its weird.. its the same size as my old one except it has an additional fan on top.. i took the little gaurd thing off and it still wouldnt fit.. hmmm

I would get Antec or Powermax. Don't cheap out when it comes to PSU. They are very important especially for Athlon systems. Having spent hundreds of $s on bad systems, I know that the power supply is often the culprit.
Again, don't buy a crappy power supply or you'll probably end up with the same problem down the road. Get a 350-400 Watt PSU. They're not too expensive.

Originally posted by La_Pieuvre@Sep 25 2003, 03:48 PM
Don't cheap out when it comes to PSU. They are very important especially for Athlon systems.

:werd:

Power quality is just as important for P4s too- really, it's important to have good clean power for any modern CPU.

i cant run anything less than 400w... my system doesnt boot otherwise. i have too many expansion slots full, too many drives, and 2 cpus!

well i bought an Antec 400w system, problem is.. it fucking wont fit and my computer is getting hot assed..especially the area where the processor is mounted..this never happened.. all i have is the cpu fan.. if i get 2 more fans, which my friend suggested, would it cool it significantly??

whats a good brand for a power supply anyway?? oh yeah THANKS A WHOLE LOT GUYS for all your help, suggestions, and mentoring.. : )

never EVER open a power supply up to fix it. they cost like $40 for a decent one. and the shock you risk by openeing it up will have your doctor bills 100 times that.

I play inside power supplies all the time, but that's crazy me doing weird ass shit.

:lol:

endlesszeal- Yes, more fans to move air around your case will definitely help you keep cool. If you don't move air through your case (fans for both intake AND exhaust), then you keep blowing the same hot air over your CPU, and that's a very bad thing.

heres the update guys.. i kept the Antec PSU and made some "custom modifications" to make it fit into my case.. "bent alot of stuff" to make it fit hahaha.. and my computer is still getting hot, but i installed a fan and its much cooler.. about to install 2 more.. is that over doing it? like a power strip shouldnt be loaded with plugs, so does that go with my PSU too? anyway, thanks for all the help guys.. peace

Well, let's see... you really can't overdo it for cooling- computers are dumping more and more heat these days. I always try to have two good size (80mm or bigger) fans for air intake, and two more for exhaust. Balance out your air flow (intake = exhaust). Adding 5-6 fans won't stress your power supply anyway- they typically draw less than 2 watts each, and feed off the 12V line. Your CPU and hard drives run on the 5V, with the opticals and part of the hard drives running on the 12V. As long as you have a decent power supply, adding fans isn't a problem.

So... always make sure the heat has some place to go. If you have a super hot CPU and a huge efficient heat sink on it, you'll still have problems if you can't feed it fresh cold air and push the hot air back out of the case.

Analogy- the most powerful engine in the world can't do anything if it's breathing and farting through a 1 inch straw.

Make sense?

Back