My new 2010 Subaru WRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Surging could be MAP related as well. In the end, with an electronically controlled engine, pretty much any problem could be any sensor or wiring path. So, ya start at the most likely and go from there. In the end, with miles on the car, a shotguning of new sensors is a good thing in terms of preventative maintenance anyway. It's usually just the expense and frustration the needs to be endured as the troubleshooting progresses.

Good luck with it.

it's a MAF car, not MAP, but i get your point. i've already cleaned the MAF thoroughly, and it made no difference at all. the MAF output is also normal.

I had a similar issue to this before, and it was the front O2 sensor. reason i was leaning away from it being the sensor again is because I just replaced it 6 months ago and didn't think it could be bad again already.

the tuner thinks it could be the ECU flipping between the open and closed loop maps, but i'm not so convinced, because in subsequent logs, i do not always see it flipping maps when it's surging.

but the sensor has a 12mo warranty, so it's free to try it out. i should get the sensor today.

Some O2 sensors can be so finicky. Maybe it was a bad batch of O2 sensors. That happened with hundreds of EGT sensors for B5 S4's. People still run into bad ones from time to time.

Yeah, the front O2 (its really an A/F sensor, wideband) is crucial to the car running properly. and it's really annoying because it doesnt throw a code, its just feeding the ECU incorrect readings (and hence the ECU is responding with the incorrect fuel trims), which makes it hard to pinpoint the issue. luckily this feedback is only used in closed loop operation, so heavy throttle situations dont have this issue. so it's at least less likely to damage the car/engine.

but even MORE annoying, is that i was supposed to get the sensor yesterday (tracked via USPS), USPS marked it delivered, but no package to be found. not in the mailbox, not at my front or back door, not anywhere. Called USPS to file a report/claim whatever, and someone is supposed to call me back today.

just annoying, because if they dont find it, then i'll have to go through all the BS of having another one shipped to me.

That blows man. I hate the USPS tracking system. They probably marked it delivered but it won't get there til today. Or maybe it went to the wrong house. Cause I don't get updated info until it is already delivered more often than not.

USPS tracking has been pretty good for me lately. usually errors are in my favor, in that they mark it at the facility, and it ends up being delivered that day. but it's the other way around this time. they scanned it at the sort facility, marked it as out for delivery, and then marked it delivered, with no delivery to me. I'm thinking they may have delivered it to the wrong house.

USPS called. they think someone stole the package out of the mailbox, and that the driver swears that she put it in the mailbox.

what should i expect out of this? assuming the driver isnt just lying to cover her ass, and say the package really was stolen. am i fucked out of the cost of the package? how do vendors usually handle this? will they get reimbursed by USPS to ship out another part? the sensor was about $100.

not to mention you probably have a rapport with your mailman.

lol, not hot... if thats what you mean.

i've never had problems with people stealing from my mailbox before. so i'm not sure what to believe. my neighborhood is a quiet suburban community. never problems with theft or crime here.i really dont give a shit. I just want my fucking sensor lol. I have these fantasies of the thief realizing it's just a car part, and putting the open backage back in my mailbox lol. but i know that's unlikely.

The vendor said that if USPS says they cant recover the package, that they will send another one out.

Got my package today. USPS delivered it to the wrong address yesterday. Amazed that I got it back today. Oh well. Glad I don't have to go through the hassle of trying to get another one.

update:

replaced the sensor and it fixed all the issues. I'll keep an eye on it. I replaced the sensor 6 months ago for similar issues, lets hope it's not a recurring thing. If the sensor is being damaged somehow by my setup, im not sure. though it probably sees temps higher than normal. the header is thick gauge stainless, ceramic coated, AND wrapped with heat wrap. so it's retaining a lot more heat in the header than a more normal setup. Who knows, maybe it was just a fluke.

I also finally got my tires replaced. I ordered them back in early May, and had IAG just hold them until I could schedule my appointment. When I called to schedule they were booked 5 weeks out. Longer than I wanted to wait, but whatever. I swapped my summer stuff on the week before my appointment (tires were extremely worn, cords showing, etc) and would try to drive lightly/sparingly until i could get the new tires. Then a few days before my appointment, the shop calls me and says their tire machine is broken. They had to push back my appointment another 2 weeks so they could get their machine fixed :(. They almost had to push me back again because the part they needed was backordered. They got their machine fixed like 2-3 days before my appointment.

Finally got in there yesterday. Got the new tires mounted, Front fenders rolled (rears already rolled), and then aligned. When I put on my summer stuff I also put on some SPC rear control arms that are camber adjustable. These arms are great! finally an easy/affordable way to get rear camber adjustment in these cars. Before on my summer setup i was locked into about -2.5 degrees camber in the rear, which is just too much.

Previously you had 2 options for camber adjustment:
1. replace the bushings in the rear upper control arms. this gave you +/- 0.75 degrees camber adjustment. and they were a royal PITA to install and adjust. but they were affordable, about $150 for the set.
KCA326-2.jpg

2. Cusco Rear LCAs. Easy to install and adjust, +/- 3.0 degrees, but quite expensive. about $550 for the pair. also probably not super great for all-season use.
cuscolaterallink.jpg

now the SPC arms, +/- about 2.0 degrees adjustable, easy install, and should be a lot better than the other options for all season use. and at $220-$250 a pair, it's a no brainer. comes with offset bushings for the rear toe arms, but I did not need them to keep my toe in spec

pi_1455.jpeg

Final alignment:
-2.5 camber front
-1.5 camber rear
0.0 toe all around

Last edited:
How? A CF hood? I was going to do it when I had the hood replaced, but the cost just isn't worth it IMO.

oh lol. yeah, about that...

dickskate mods incoming:

staggered front/rear tire fitments. all bout dat rake, son! im thinking 18x10's in the rear, and 16x7s in the front.
no hood or scoop. should get more air on the intercooler, right?

Back