My New Car!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The steering issue specifaically is that if I go over any kind of bump or rough bump in the road, the steering wheel is jerked really hard sideways. When I brake it's the same issue. When I take off, the same issue. It gets better after the car drives a bit.

when I had that problem it was a shot wheel bearing.

when you're going straight is your steering wheel crooked?

Nope. It's totally straight. My alignment doesn't even seem off. When I'm driving on a level road, it's straight and easy to work with, like it should be. But when I'm going over a rough road or really warped pavement it gets out of control.

I didn't know if it was the rotor. I knew that it shook a little when braking, but I didn't know if even that could get out of hand.

nice job on the rex i found an 89 but its been JDMed then sold, raped, sold and finally sucked water up in the cold air intake pwning the bottom end causing it to end up in gulfport rotting. its only $400 though i havent decided to get it yet....

Carefully jack up the car by the lower "a" arm and wiggle the tire around. If there is any free play, find out where it is coming from. That should give you a good clue. Could be shot wheel bearings, dragging brakes, one brake not actuating, among all the other things listed above. Also, put the front of the car on jack stands and inspect all of the suspension components for anything loose, bent, or out of place. Look for rub marks, grab everything and shake it around.. Look for worn out bushings. Try to find out what is loose down there.
up and down movement is usually upper ball joint, left and right is usually tierod. Ball joints are expensive as you have to generally replace the whole upper controll arm. Tierod ends are not too bad on the pocket, but either way I would recomend an alignment after either are replaced. Also wheel bearings on my accord ran me about $80 a piece and they have to be pressed in. Lower ball joints are about $20 and also have to be pressed in. The last two require the removal of the entire wheel hub. I started doing the front end on the accord because of a bad upper ball joint and wound up doing the whole thing, because it was easier to do in one shot then to have to take it appart repeatedly

up and down movement is usually upper ball joint, left and right is usually tierod. Ball joints are expensive as you have to generally replace the whole upper controll arm. Tierod ends are not too bad on the pocket, but either way I would recomend an alignment after either are replaced. Also wheel bearings on my accord ran me about $80 a piece and they have to be pressed in. Lower ball joints are about $20 and also have to be pressed in. The last two require the removal of the entire wheel hub. I started doing the front end on the accord because of a bad upper ball joint and wound up doing the whole thing, because it was easier to do in one shot then to have to take it appart repeatedly
:werd:

HOw wide are your tires? I know that when I was running wider tires on my 91 civic I would have that happen once in a while. The wider tires made it a little harder to steer.

^^^
I'm not sure. I'm going to have them checked out this Thrusday. This is ridiculous though. No matter what kind of tire wear/ anything like that, I don't think I've ever had the steering this bad on a vehicle before. I'm afraid it's going to jump in the other lane one day and attack someone.

Yup. I can tell it's not car friendly. It jumps at other cars.

This is a bearing issue. When you find the road cracks (I think they call them "snakes" out west) it will tend to follow it.

Heavy wheels with hard compound rubber tend to replicate this. But if I understand this correctly, it's bearings. Simple fix for the Honda.

My girl doesnt like cold starts, raised trucks and slow drivers.

injen, if you still have the bill of sale, you can go to the dmv and do a lost title search. its like 40 bucks or something

Nope. It's totally straight. My alignment doesn't even seem off. When I'm driving on a level road, it's straight and easy to work with, like it should be. But when I'm going over a rough road or really warped pavement it gets out of control.

I didn't know if it was the rotor. I knew that it shook a little when braking, but I didn't know if even that could get out of hand.

its because you have 17's on it.

seriously.

'crowns' in the road will pull you everywhere.

its because you have 17's on it.

seriously.

'crowns' in the road will pull you everywhere.

Yeah, my grandma has a 95 Civic, I'm going to see if she'll let me swap her wheels for mine and drive it around to see if there's any difference.

Back