My new computer is a Delorean

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkHand

VIP
Got a great new system last week, AMD Dual Core 5600+, 2GB PC6400 Ram, Geforce 8800GT, and apparantly a flux capacitor:

6178d1207023763-backtothefuture.jpg

:ph34r::ph34r:

Confused the heck out of me for a while, till I found this:

In recent weeks we have received reports about negative PING time measurements (e.g. -5 ms) from users of our monitoring products. “Great”, we thought, “our software has overcome the laws the physics and is able to received network packets before they are actually sent”. But now there are more and more hints showing up around the Internet that we will not receive the Nobel price in physics…

This issue seems to be caused by a discrepancy between the internal timers of the two CPU cores in AMD’s dual core processors. After a reboot the CPU timers are in sync but over time the timers drift apart. And this causes the negative PING times. And it was also causing some other timing issues with other software products, especially games.

AMD has published a driver update (”AMD Dual-Core Optimizer”) for their CPUs which periodically synchronizes the timers and fixes the problem this way.

Quote: The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct […] incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

Darn it! No 1955 for me.

Thought it was cool. :)

Attachments

• BackToTheFuture.jpg
    BackToTheFuture.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 194
neat! does it go 88mph? :ph34r:

maybe with the time travel tools, it could also post this in the computer forum :D

haha, i think he's missing the plutonium.

hey darkhand, do you think you can run 3dmark06 on all default and see what you get? i just built my friend a computer with almost the same specs and i think its like 9300.

I was wondering where this thread went. :D Moved in 3 minutes by B!

haha, i think he's missing the plutonium.

hey darkhand, do you think you can run 3dmark06 on all default and see what you get? i just built my friend a computer with almost the same specs and i think its like 9300.

Sure, I've been meaning to do that anyway. I'll post the results tonight.

All done, 9806 3dmarks

I was going to include the detailed results, but the site doesn't support .xls file attachments and I'm too lazy to manually format it for a post. :D

Back