MythTV

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bastard, I so did not need another machine to buy :)

Gentoo FTW :)

Nah. Refrigeration is way better. :)

For a HTPC though, there's really no reason to go with one cooling method over another- your goal is silence, not overclocking performance.

Yes, the sound of silence is my goal. Having a laptop drive in there versus an old desktop drive makes all the difference. Now all I need to do is quiet down the processor fan and it's almost 100% silent.

Made some trades, this is the case I acquired for my second frontend:

cavt04silver.gif

Well, with all success comes a tiny bit of failure. I had to ditch the HVR-1600 card for another PVR-150.

Why? Conexant CX23418.

The 23418 is the upgrade from the good ol 23416. Among other things, it fixes the DMA nightmare that makes Hauppauge cards almost impossible to use on a board with a Via chipset (horrible DMA on a card + horrible DMA on the southbridge = PURE NIGHTMARE). The downside is there were so many cooks in the kitchen that nobody really knows exactly how it works. The dev team on the xxx16 chip apparently left and didn't document everything, along with other speedbumps in the process.

Long story short, 23418 support will be a little ways away, hopefully not *TOO* away seeing that Hauppauge is moving to the 18 chips on just about everything.

Once 18 support comes about, I'll grab another HVR-1600 or two.

Boosted my drive space to 1.05TB today. Added in a 300GB drive to hold all of my PS1 games (I have about 230 titles) so that Myth can serve 'em up through mythgame. Given there's enough space left, I'll put the rest of the emulation stuff there as well.

mythgame?

MythGame is a plugin for Myth that manages emulators. It'll give a nice frontend GUI for all the consoles and roms with box pics, game info, so on and so forth.

Man, you are gonna make me do a build thread when my stuff comes in....that means i gotta find my mom's digi cam.

Depending on the features you include in your setup, you'd better have a *LOT* of drive space to sacrifice to the PVR gods.

Ah, but not a PS emulator on its own, right?

Think ya quoted the wrong post, heh.

No. None of the emulation is done by Myth itself. The Mythgame plugin simply gives a frontend to all of the emulators and sorts your ROMS, gives em nice box art and general info on the game.

Getting it to work with the emus is easy.

Yeah, quoted the wrong post.

So what are you using to emulate the PS in Linux, and how well does it really run?

Back