MythTV

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

only bad thing is you gotta dual timer when you have satellite, thats the only reason i havent gone myth yet. ive already got the 150...just need cable.

Am i wrong in thinking you would have to setup dual timers for digital cable as well, or does myth act as your cable box at that time?

so i like the concept. im just not "in" on the terminology, lol. what is a front end? what does it do?

The backend is the server that holds all of the drive space, tuners, database and does all the recording work.

The frontend is a small, stripped down system that connects to the TV. Much like a client/server setup.

One backend server can be used by multiple frontend systems. All of your movies, music and recorded shows are accessible from any of the frontend systems. You can also run the frontend software on your laptop if you like.

only bad thing is you gotta dual timer when you have satellite, thats the only reason i havent gone myth yet. ive already got the 150...just need cable.

Am i wrong in thinking you would have to setup dual timers for digital cable as well, or does myth act as your cable box at that time?

Define timers. I'm a bit unsure of what you mean.

my satellite receiver can set 2 types of timers, a DVR timer which records to the hard drive on the receiver and a auto-tune timer which just changes the channel when the show comes on. Is there anyway to program Myth to be my receiver? Meaning can i just set a show to record on my computer and not even have to touch my receiver?

my satellite receiver can set 2 types of timers, a DVR timer which records to the hard drive on the receiver and a auto-tune timer which just changes the channel when the show comes on. Is there anyway to program Myth to be my receiver? Meaning can i just set a show to record on my computer and not even have to touch my receiver?

Sure. Myth just needs to be able to control the satellite box. Should be a serial port for most boxes. Some might be USB, depends on what model you have.

The timers make no difference to Myth. The backend's internal clock controls when programs are recorded. All the satellite box does is tune in the channel. When the scheduled program comes on, Myth will change the channel on the sat box and record what comes in through the composite/svideo input on the tuner or capture card.

Ordered the remote for the frontend.

firefly.jpg

Snapstream Firefly. Great lil remote from the reviews I've read.

ahh sweet....might have to get another hard drive when i get my second monitor....sounds like a good idea. Although i might just get a PATA drive cause id rather my old box be a myth box...i still use windows primarily.

Sweet! That's about all I have left to get on mine.

Newegg *USED* to sell the Firefly, but it seems that they don't stock it anymore. I had to order mine straight from Snapstream.

Myth fully supports it, the lirc config files for it are available on many of the Myth sites.

I picked up a wireless keyboard/mouse combo last nite, so now all I need is a wireless game controller and I'm in business :)

Cool. I'll surf on over to the Snapstream site and check it out! I already have my wireless keyboard/mouse and game controller, so I'm good there.

Final server specs:

ECS 755-A2 socket 754 mainboard
Athlon 64 3000+ processor
1GB DDR400 RAM
nVidia Riva TNT 128 vidcard
2x Hauppauge PVR-150 tuner
DVD+-RW drive
1x 30GB Maxtor DiamondMax HDD for OS
2x 250GB Hitachi Deskstar HDD
1x 250GB Seagate Barracuda HDD
1x 300GB Seagate Barracuda HDD
1x 200GB Hitachi Deskstar HDD
1x 160GB WD Caviar HDD

backend1.jpg

backend2.jpg

TV on the computer isn't the goal. Computer on the TV is the goal. TV plus on-demand music, games, movies, videos, etc.

ahh... i see, :blink:

The big box handles the tuners and live TV displaying (via network to the frontend systems) as well as all the scheduled recordings and such. All of the media is stored on that system, hence the near 1.5TB rack-o-drives I stuffed in there. The frontends at the TVs can access these through a fancy UI and menus.

so none of the tv's will connect via a coax cable? what about sound?

Back