need a new hard drive

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

We went from basic trouble shooting to building out Raid 0 setups with hacked firmware. I can dig it ha ha.

I was uber geek cool in the 90s with my all SCSI tower. Loved that 10k rpm whine...

I finally got over it and junked out the last of the SCSI stuff along with the Tyan Thundar dualey. May have one controller left and a 10k RPM SCSI drive in one of my rigs. Still makes me weak at the knees when I think of the $ wasted on that build.

Plenty of performance with a striped pair of Raptors nowdays.

Yeah exactly. All my SCSI stuff has been sitting still for over 5 years now. You could combine all of my leftover drives and the controller and have more size and performance for about $100 now. Still can't match the seek time though!

Yep, I had a couple of 15k RPM Cheetah's and a couple of IBM 10k drives in the Tyan dually.

Had no idea what or why when I built it - just did. Obsessing at the time back in 2002.

I just checked and there's a Adaptec 2940w controller card left in one of my rigs - no hard drives on it - hmmmmmm.

Oh, here it is, some optical drives - couple of old Plextor SCSI drives - CD ROM 40x and a CD/RW.

Glad I got rid of all that crap. Also junked drive cooler blocks. Running all fans on the hard drives these days.

I spent ~$4k on that Tyan and NEVER used it for anything outside of a little Quake 3 Arena years ago - what a waste!

I mostly did it way back in the day when putting burners on IDE chains was a big no no... then just started going SCSI everything since the IDE performance wasn't available at the time like it is now with consumer SATA drives vs server level hardware. Oh well.

Got a stack of Plextor drives too. They don't make stuff like they used to... actually, they don't really make anything anymore- just rebrand other junk. :(

Back