need a new hard drive

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i already ordered it.. should be here tomorrow.. i know shit about computers so easiest is best... lol

i went with the one Cal posted above .. saw others but this one is supposed to be quiet, mine now is loud .. lol

if you can click "yes" and change your oil, installing a SATA card and drive is easy-cake. actually, if your hard drive + motherboard is straight SATA, you just plug it in.

which leads me to my install advice; on the back of the drive you order, there is a little jumper pin. move it to either MS (master) or CS (cable select). I suggest MS because you're probably replacing a drive on its own IDE channel.

food for thought. although a native IDE drive is easier to go, its not as cost efficient and "future-proofing" than getting a SATA controller.

SATA 1TB drives can be had for $50-60. Also, motherboards are coming with either 1 or no IDE ports anymore. Why is this important?

Your hard drive will probably out live your system at this point. True, mechanical hard drives can crash anytime, but with most warranty going from 3-5 years, its not too bad as long as you back up. Also, itll be easier to get an external housing in SATA than IDE if you do decide to use it as an external hard drive down the road. Lastly, if you get a decent controller, most if not all drives are now SATA 3.0, meaning itll be much faster than an old IDE drive.

So, i would get an SATA with controller. its a tad "more difficult," but the benefits outweigh the negatives.

I agree with you to an extent- but these days, with any purchase computer related, you really can't future proof ANYTHING. Might as well just get what's good when you need it. ;)

I agree with you to an extent- but these days, with any purchase computer related, you really can't future proof ANYTHING. Might as well just get what's good when you need it. ;)
Yep - I"ve had too many hardware incompatibility issues with controller cards - generally interrupt conflict problems.

Replacing the IDE drive, for a novice is the easy way to go.

yeah that's why i had the phrase in quotations :p. "future proofing" computers is like trying to stop the chinese from having babies; it aint gonna happen. and i hate it when they call it "bleeding edge;" its more like "bleeding money."

but my main point was that getting a SATA controller and drive would've possibly increased performance and definitely more GB/$.

the IDE drive listed has a puny 8mb of cache where as most current SATA drives have 32mb and many drives are hoovering right next to the 1st gen WD Raptors; with the WD Caviar Black tying or exceeding it.

oh well, hes already bought it and i hope the install goes smoothly. =)

yeah that's why i had the phrase in quotations :p. "future proofing" computers is like trying to stop the chinese from having babies; it aint gonna happen. and i hate it when they call it "bleeding edge;" its more like "bleeding money."

but my main point was that getting a SATA controller and drive would've possibly increased performance and definitely more GB/$.

the IDE drive listed has a puny 8mb of cache where as most current SATA drives have 32mb and many drives are hoovering right next to the 1st gen WD Raptors; with the WD Caviar Black tying or exceeding it.

oh well, hes already bought it and i hope the install goes smoothly. =)
For an experienced builder a controller card would have made sense - for a novice, no - too many things can go wrong.

Last edited:
should be here today.. and the 8mb cache is fine w/ me.. i doubt the one i have now has anymore than that, and it has served me fine.. except for recently

got it installed, windows reinstalled and the comp setup how i had it before.. no difference :( .... j/k .. much much faster now

:thumbsup:

Just ordered two hard drives myself today... 7200rpm Seagate 2.5" laptop drives to go into a desktop computer in RAID 0. Makes tons of sense eh?

:D

should have went with 2x 80GB intels for raid0.

its fast :)

maybe, you can get 2 for about 400 now. but my system is retarded, probably like 2200+ in the box not including monitors or peripherals lol.

or get two wd blacks and raid 0. would rape anything outside of ssd.

probably got a good deal on those seagates anyway -^_-.

@GSRCRX :it would be fun trying to explain to my gf why i need a 2200+ computer tower when i only facebook and watch videos.

anyway, i would really love to get my hands on some sandforce drives but i cant justify spending so much money on what, like 15 sec faster boot times (considering my usage).

maybe, you can get 2 for about 400 now. but my system is retarded, probably like 2200+ in the box not including monitors or peripherals lol.

I'm in the same range- but the drives I ordered are for a portable box, not my main system. I'd spend the cash on SSDs for the main system, or at least stripe two really fast desktop drives (which I have).

or get two wd blacks and raid 0. would rape anything outside of ssd.

probably got a good deal on those seagates anyway -^_-.

@GSRCRX :it would be fun trying to explain to my gf why i need a 2200+ computer tower when i only facebook and watch videos.

anyway, i would really love to get my hands on some sandforce drives but i cant justify spending so much money on what, like 15 sec faster boot times (considering my usage).

The Seagates were $35 apiece new. I guess I'll create a thread while I build this thing tonight. :)

blacks in raid 0 are good, but they have a timeout problem that causes the raid to fail unexpectedly (the drives dont fail). this can be fixed however with modding the firmware. just thought it was worth noting. blacks are not rated for RAID, it would be better to just use some of their RE model drives for raid configs.

ive actually been thinking about picking up a 3rd intel SSD for a 3x raid0 :) i could use the space, my raid volume is about 70% full with just games and programs.

Last edited:
blacks in raid 0 are good, but they have a timeout problem that causes the raid to fail unexpectedly (the drives dont fail). this can be fixed however with modding the firmware. just thought it was worth noting. blacks are not rated for RAID, it would be better to just use some of their RE model drives for raid configs.

ive actually been thinking about picking up a 3rd intel SSD for a 3x raid0 :) i could use the space, my raid volume is about 70% full with just games and programs.

mm did not know that about the blacks. thanks for the info. but what a bunch of shit that someone has to use modded firmware to get something to "work right." i guess thats what the RE line is for....

and i wonder, would 3 intel ssd in raid 0 break the SATA 3.0 barrier? the sandforce (crucial c300) did but i forgot if it was in raid and if it was read or write.

anyway, glad to hear everything went well with the dude.

ps love the snappiness of a fresh windows install.

See, in the old days I just assigned each SCSI drive a different ID and went to town. No conflicts, no weird firmware issues....

Back