Need advice for noob driving technique

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 23 2005, 11:14 PM
Well I think I'm pretty much done with this now. Thanks for all the advice. I can now launch consistently at around 4000 rpm with little to no slip, and don't have any problems shifting in other situations. Only thing I can say is heavy traffic is a bitch with stick shift, but that's about it.

I'm having some weird (i think mechanical) problems with shifting into 3rd sometimes, and once in a great while into 2nd. I get this thing where my clutch is pushed in, but the shifter just won't push into the 3rd gear slot. Once in a while I get this gnashing grinding sound for a split second, like gears mashing together. Invariably I can push it into the slot if I try a 2nd time, but its fucking pissing me off that I miss 3rd sometimes because of this. It only seems to do this when the car is fully warmed up. Don't have this problem until then.
[post=559645]Quoted post[/post]​

change your tranny fluid ;)

Originally posted by TurboMirage+Sep 24 2005, 11:07 AM-->
confusatron
@Sep 23 2005, 11:14 PM
Well I think I'm pretty much done with this now. Thanks for all the advice. I can now launch consistently at around 4000 rpm with little to no slip, and don't have any problems shifting in other situations. Only thing I can say is heavy traffic is a bitch with stick shift, but that's about it.

I'm having some weird (i think mechanical) problems with shifting into 3rd sometimes, and once in a great while into 2nd. I get this thing where my clutch is pushed in, but the shifter just won't push into the 3rd gear slot. Once in a while I get this gnashing grinding sound for a split second, like gears mashing together. Invariably I can push it into the slot if I try a 2nd time, but its fucking pissing me off that I miss 3rd sometimes because of this. It only seems to do this when the car is fully warmed up. Don't have this problem until then.
[post=559645]Quoted post[/post]​

change your tranny fluid ;)
[post=559767]Quoted post[/post]​

When we filled the trans fluid at the beginning, I went to honda and asked them what the fluid capacity was. They told me 1.8 qts. So I bought 2 quarts of their "special" OEM fluid at like 5 bucks a quart, and filled the trans, or so I thought. I'm starting to wonder if they were wrong about the capacity. :(

Pretty sure 2.5 is the capacity, but you dont drain all of the oil during a change, I think 1.8 is the change amount. Takes into account all the fluid sticking to the parts inside.

haynes says 2.3L, but i've herd 2.1L before and have always just put 2L in.

I filled it the rest of the way the other day. It ended up needing all but about 1/4th of the extra quart. Hard to tell exactly how much because my last dump into the funnel was the last of it, and it was overflowing onto the ground at that point. I'd guesstimate the capacity then was between 2.5 and 2.8 quarts. Somehwere in there. But the lesson learned is that it's best to keep adding oil till it overflows.

Now the car runs quite a bit quieter. I hope I didn't damage the trans over that month or so being low on fluid.

Grinding gears

Synchros on b series tranny's are well known to give up the ghost in mistreated gearboxes i had a 91 gen 2 crx and that grinded at high revs like a MF tip: don't push the gearstick too hard rather gently push until it pops in by itself when the gears match on their own, and make sure you did fill up to the top mark on your tranny fluid!) good luck

Synchros on b series tranny's are well known to give up the ghost in mistreated gearboxes i had a 91 gen 2 crx and that grinded at high revs like a MF tip: don't push the gearstick too hard rather gently push until it pops in by itself when the gears match on their own, and make sure you did fill up to the top mark on your tranny fluid!) good luck

good_job_cookie.jpg

Back