need clarification on sol with b16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tgwgg45

Banned
Ok guys, I am having some trouble figuring this out. I am looking into buying a del sol for my brother. I know there were del sols with the b16 and with the d16 in the later years. When was the change? Where in the VIN does it say that the car came with a b16 and not a d16? Why is it that I find some 95 del sols with b16's claiming to be factory, while the 96 seems to only have the d16 as an option. Was it a package option? What is the easiest way to get a del sol with a b16 in it?

Please, someone clear this up for me. I have been racking my brain about this reading through forums and threads and classifieds and I can’t seem to get a straight answer.

Thanks!

Ryan

jhmeg2170ss001695

JHMEG2174SS001702

both of those have the b16 in them, and both say they are factory b16s. what tells you its a b16 car?

i am still looking for one. i would prefer not to get one with the original d16 swaped out for a b16. i would prefer to get the b16 fromt he factory.

is there a year, or a code, or a package, or somehting that i can search for that will tell me?

Ryan

Last edited:
there is a few guys on here that has them but as far as i know it wont say s or si it will only say vtec on it. the car that is

ok, so we are talking a post 94 with no S or SI package? i take it the b16 was a factory option then for the base del sol?

anyone else have imput?

Ryan

94 and newer will have the b16 as a option. if it says s or si it didnt come stock with the b16

there is but im not sure what i think its the 6 digit but for sure ill check it out more for ya but in the mean while......... bump..

yes, please, anyone with info, let me know. looking in the central georgia area.

thanks!

Ryan

eg2 means it is a vtec, but it wont tell you if its a d16 or b16. pop the hood and youll know immediately.

the valve covers give it away immediately.

top is the d16z6, bottom is the b16a3.

z55479704.jpg

red.delsol.b16a2.jpg

also if your standing in front of the car, look underneath the distributor. theres a flat spot on the motor and thats where the engine stamp is.

but yeah if its a b16 the valve cover will say dohc vtec
unless its been taken off there should also be a sticker on the trunk that says dohc vtec

Back