need help with d16y8 swap?!?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ya if u had a non vtec ecu u could.. but your car is still duel point or isnt it.. p28 ecu is obd-1...

but the y8 is obd2, so would i need an obd2 to obd0 wiring harness or could i jus run an obd2 ecu with out ne problems? jus plug n play?

The y8 doesnt have to run off a obd2 ecu or programming. it doesnt matter. You can keep dpfi, youR tranny, your obd0 wiring harness , intake manifold, exhaust manifold, mounts, axles. You dont have to change your ecu and stuff to obd2 just because the engine came from a obd2 car. IT WILL RUN FINE OFF A OBD0 ECU AND HARNESS. IF YOU WANT VTEC TO SWAP YOUR ECU FOR A PR3 OR PWO. You will need a mpfi swap if its not done already, youll also need to pin the ecu for vtec and a knock sensor. Your other option is do a mpfi swap, use a obd0 to obd1 conversion harness and a p28, If you do this though you will have to swap your distributor out for one from a 92-95 non vtec civic. Are you more confused yet??

Parts you will need if your car is DPFI

OBD0 setup

mpfi intake manifold (complete)
injector resistor box
obd0 mpfi ecu pm6,pr3,pwo (pm6 will not run vtec)
mpfi distributor (you will have to run wires for the extra sensor to the ecu)
spare wiring harness ( you will need some wires when you pin vtec)
knock sensor (if you use the pr3 or pw0)

Obd1 setup

same as above basically but you will need a p28 or other obd1 vtec ecu
obd1 nonvtec distributor (z6 dizzy wont bolt up to a y8 head rite)
obd0 - obd1 conversion harness.....

If I am right....Blanco is saying go with the d16z6 motor it is obd-1 so you can run a p28 which is more tuneable so you have better power potential. also you won't have to do the work to convert it to obd-2 and not acheive horse power ratings that would make the swap worth it. Unfortunely I didn't have this option with my car being a 98, I can't swap in a z6 it wasn't offered in a late enough model.

but beater said i can run this motor (d16y8) obd1! in that case my situation would b made much easier, n would jus have to fab a few things myself such as the vtec on the wiring harness?!?!

y would i need a obd1 non-vtec dizzy if im gonna be vtec? n could i jus get a dizzy off an older civic thats obd1 but not vtec?

that is where I got lost. I don't understand how you can bypass the ecu unless you plan on not running vtec.

would i re-pin my stock distrubitor thats on the d15 (obd0) or the one that should have came on the engine which would b obd2?

thanks man i like ur help better than beaters!! cudos to Blanco!!!

I didnt give you any ideas...just your options. You were making a simple pretty straight forward swap complicated. Do what you want to, I was trying to help. Learn to use GOOGLE it helps.....helps me alot when i need to figure something out

Last edited:
why wouldu wanna re-pin ur dizzy... do u know how hard and complicated that is.?!?!?!?! OBD2 wont work on OBD1... just buy a obd-1 cut off a ear if u have to.....

swaping d16y7 into 91 hatch cx

im really stuck on this how can i wire up the d16y7 with the 91 harnes i have the ecu and everything in place i just hate wires please help me :confused:

is it me or do i keep seeing people saying you can use your stock intake for this swap? if the engine is a y8 with a y8 head u need to get a y8 intake if u dont believe me look up 99 civic ex intake gasket and compare it to your gasket i bet money it is different.

is it me or do i keep seeing people saying you can use your stock intake for this swap? if the engine is a y8 with a y8 head u need to get a y8 intake if u dont believe me look up 99 civic ex intake gasket and compare it to your gasket i bet money it is different.

A. i wanna thank the guy above you for bringing this thread back from the dead.. not.

B. you can use the a6 intake on a y8 or z6 head. its been done numerous times by loads of people, myself included.

dsci2044.jpg

end discussion /

not necessarily, i used my a6 intake manifold and just got a a6 gasket for it, even though the gaskets arent the same it still prevents the coolant and air from leaking out

not necessarily, i used my a6 intake manifold and just got a a6 gasket for it, even though the gaskets arent the same it still prevents the coolant and air from leaking out
Old thread dude. Peep the dates before posting. :)

Back