Need some tech help guys...please!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jason C.

I am buying a 1994 prelude s with a blown motor. The motor that is in the car is a non vtec h23. Will a jdm H22a work with the h23 5 speed tranny. Will all the axles and tranny bolt right in? I know that I will have to find the correct ECU, but I am tring to do this on a limited budget. My local Honda dealership is doing the install for 750.00. All I need to know is what do I need to run correctly (if anything) and where is a legitimate dealer of these motors? I see several on ebay and even a front clip for 2500.00. I am on the east coast (S.C.). Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Please fell free to post here or email me at stonedmusic@aol.com.

I hate to sound like I know nothing about Honda's, but I have an 88 crx si and am just not familiar with the Preludes. I checked the website..link doesn't exist. Do you have another?

SORRY ABOUT THAT BRO ITS HIS E-MAIL ADDRESS @YAHOO.COM I CALLED & SPOKE TO SOME GUY PAUL HE ACTUALLY CAN GIVE YOU A GOOD DEAL ON PARTS OR ENGINES YOU NEED

Yeah a JDM H22 will work just fine. Some wiring will have to be done as well.

Speaking of wiring, do you have a Prelude S or a Prelude Si? The S came with the single-cam F22, while the Si came with the H23. It'll make a difference with the tranny and the wiring harness. The F22 tranny makes it a little tough to match tranny to engine, and if you do really have the F22, you'll have to wire up the IAB and the knock sensor. Otherwise, if it's already got an H23, you only need to wire VTEC.

I thought that the Prelude S came with F22A6, if that is the case, then there is no need to wire up the IAB.

H/F series trannies are completely interchangeable. Gearing is different (obviously).

You will need to wire in (at the most):
1) Knock Sensor
2) VTEC Solenoid
3) re-wire oil pressure switch

If you do have the H23 than you can use your H23 distributor (becuase it will keep the external coil) on the JDM H22. You will need to use the H23's fuel rail.

That's it. Axles will work fine.

Sooo..

1) Remove H23

2) Take engine harness off H23

3) Put H23 engine harness on H22

4) Wiring = Add in Vtec solenoid

5) Put H23 fuel rail on H22

6) Put H23 distributor on H22

7) Swap trannies (if necessary)

8) Put engine back in

9) Plug in p13 ecu

10) Have fun.

Thanks a million guys. I was confused as well. The badge on the car says Prelude S. The title is says Si. It has the H23 for some reason. Also The JDM guys are trying hard to sell me a tranny. Mine only has 115,000 on it. Should I pay the extra 600 for the tranny? I found a guy who will sell me an H22, Chipped ECU and wire harness shipped for 1700.00. And a 3 month warranty. Sounded good to me. If anyone wants his number I will give it out after I pay for mine!! Thanks again!!

I'd stick with your tranny for now. The H23 is slightly longer geared, but you probably don't care much for $600. Your money would be better spent in other areas, like cams or something. It might be a good time to check out your clutch, just because the guys will be there. Of course changing the fluid is never a bad idea either. :)

hey if you have a h23 in it now and r gonna put a h22 in you are gonna need to buy axles for a h22 because the h23 are to long. a good site to get em is www.alloemautoparts.com thats where i got mine they are i think 70$ a axle.

maybe if he switches trannies. I won't argue, because I haven't switched from one tranny to the other, but I thought the axles were the same. I can't see how the trasmission would get any skinnier by trading engines. The engines bolt up the same, and if he used the same tranny, what's the difference?

I don't think he'll need different axles either.

And to whoever suggested the Prelude S came with an F22A6, I don't believe this is the case. In my Helm's for a 93 Prelude, it very specifically listed the F22 in the Prelude as not having IAB's.

Back