no power with vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I also heard the type of oil can be messing it up is that true?
I am running valvoline (SP)10w30

make sure the vtec control solenoid is working. differnt oil types really shouldn't hurt any thing.

This may sound stupied but what octane rating have you been putting in? You might of just got some bad gas?

Shit the first tank I ran 93 then my wife put 87 YUCK!!! I Honestly dont rember but It still feels the same as before.

If she put 87 in then that is the reason why it seems fucked up!! As you probably already know you need to put in 89 or higher!!

Shit I don't even have vtec and I always put in 93!! My car deserves it she has been a good little girl lately!! :lol:

so you really think it is because of the 87 gas? What you are telling me is that a 4 cyl need 89 and up to run right.....I hear what you are saying and am listinig but it does not make any sense....

I can not believe you have not heard about that? Yes you neeeeeeddd 89 octane rating or higher or else you will fuck up your vtec madness!

I have heard a little about it but I really did not pay any attention to it..Shit I should have .....Thanks man and you dont think I could have jacked it up?

vtec is a gift and is a part of you car that can get ruined my friend. If you abuse it and do not follow its requirement you are just asking it to fail one day!!

Gald I can help you out though!! :D

Originally posted by SLA@Nov 4 2003, 10:16 PM
I can not believe you have not heard about that? Yes you neeeeeeddd 89 octane rating or higher or else you will fuck up your vtec madness!

:no: the only reason for running higher octane than 87 would be if you had high compression or some sort of forced induction which i dont belive you have. i would check your vtec solenoid.

Originally posted by 95sir@Nov 4 2003, 08:30 PM
This is my first b16 and first vtec period but I ve heard others......Shit i dont know it just sounds the same as othe vtec mot0rs

Run str-eitght header. I gaurantee your cat is clogged. try running straight header.

Originally posted by xyswany+Nov 4 2003, 09:28 PM-->
@Nov 4 2003, 10:16 PM
I can not believe you have not heard about that?  Yes you neeeeeeddd 89 octane rating or higher or else you will fuck up your vtec madness!

:no: the only reason for running higher octane than 87 would be if you had high compression or some sort of forced induction which i dont belive you have. i would check your vtec solenoid.

Because of vtec you end up running a higher commpression and you are inducing more air! That is why they it tells you in that manual to put in a minimum of 89 or higher!

im not all that bright but how the fuck would your camshaft(s) effect your compression ratio? someone who actually knows what there talking about please chime in here.

Originally posted by SLA@Nov 4 2003, 09:37 PM
Doesn't more air plus more fuel = more compression? :huh:

no.

compression is just that, how much the air and fuel is compressed. The actual amount of air and fuel has nothing to do with it, until you start looking at boost and static vs. effective compression.

Originally posted by SLA+Nov 4 2003, 09:32 PM-->
Originally posted by xyswany@Nov 4 2003, 09:28 PM
SLA
I can not believe you have not heard about that?  Yes you neeeeeeddd 89 octane rating or higher or else you will fuck up your vtec madness!

Because of vtec you end up running a higher commpression and you are inducing more air! That is why they it tells you in that manual to put in a minimum of 89 or higher!

holy shit people, stop talking.

VTEC has nothing to do with compression. The compression ratio has nothing to do with a camshaft, or the camshaft profile. Compression has to do with your pistons and the combustion chamber. Honda performance motors especially, have the SAME high compression NO MATTER WHAT. Higher octane fuel is used so that it resists exploding prematurely when it is compressed by the motor.

Id get into more about how compression = heat and whatnot, but I think its better to let the basics sink in a bit.

Originally posted by liquid00meth+Nov 4 2003, 10:58 PM-->
Originally posted by SLA@Nov 4 2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by xyswany@Nov 4 2003, 09:28 PM
SLA

holy shit people, stop talking.

VTEC has nothing to do with compression. The compression ratio has nothing to do with a camshaft, or the camshaft profile. Compression has to do with your pistons and the combustion chamber. Honda performance motors especially, have the SAME high compression NO MATTER WHAT. Higher octane fuel is used so that it resists exploding prematurely when it is compressed by the motor.

Id get into more about how compression = heat and whatnot, but I think its better to let the basics sink in a bit.

just for the record i wasnt saying vtec has an effect on compression or anything like that.

Would you guys just quit arguing?!?!?! Instead of bickering in this guiys thread START YOUR OWN!

Damn i wish i was a mod so i could delete most of this crap.

To answer the ORIGINAL post, i believe your catalitic converter is clogged. My friends civic SI was having the EXACT same symptoms as you are describing. Try running your car with straight header (no exaust connected) and see if that solves the problem. If it doe, change the catalytic converter.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUEL YOU USE!

Do the simple test that i psuggested, and post your results.

Thank you and have a nice day. :D

Back