No V-Tec engagement, Rev limiter at 6800 rpm

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What's up everyone?

I just finished swapping a H22A into my 1995 Accord. The car runs perfectly fine, the car idles fine. The car runs like a champ, but theres a problem.

Problems:

1. When I decide to push it, rather Redlining at 7200 rpm, it only redlines at 6800 rpm.

2. Also, my v-tec doesn't engage. When Im climbing the rpm's, and when I get to 5500 ( v-tec engagement ), I don't feel the pull, or hear the v-tec.

My friend has the same swap, but his car redlines at 7200 rpm, and his v-tec engages at 5500.

I check the ECU, but it wasn't the ECU. I tried my buddy's ECU, and same results. No v-tec engagement, and Im still redline at 6800 rpm.

My buddy's ECU is a JUN Chipped P13 ECU. The ECU has a 9400 rpm rev limit. So, it can't be the ECU's.

3. Also, everytime I pull up my E-brake, my ABS light comes on.

Well, those are my problems with my swap, I don't know what to do. Could it be from the poor wiring, bad wires from the disturbtor, or my v-tec solenoid?

If threes anyone, who had the same problem, please help, or if anyone know what could be wrong. I appeciate the help. Thanks.

#1 and #2 are related. If VTEC isn't engaging, you won't rev past 6500 rpm. This will also happen right when the you start the car, and the car isn't up to temp.

If VTEC isn't engaging, then you've got to be throwing a code. Pull the code and see what it says.

My car would do that when it basically went into Limp Mode with a Code.. I would definatlly see if you are throwing a Code because it sounds like the car is in Limp Mode.

:concur:

It sounds like the ECT code.

I don't know what to say about the E brake and ABS. If your car didn't do that before, then you changed or forgot something.

What's up everyone?

Well, I don't know what's wrong, I'm not getting a "Check Engine" light. I tried reseting the ECU, but still nothing.

ECT code? What is an ECT code? :huh:

Could it be my wire harness? You guys think it maybe plugged up wrong? :huh:

try double cheking the additional wiring you added. ect is engine coolent tempature, if that sensor dosent work your computer will think the engine is not warm enough to be run hard yet so it limits every thing. this may or may not set a code.

check your vtm.

When I tried installing my field's (PIECE OF SHIT) vtec controller, I had the same problem..turned out the VTM had popped out.

Originally posted by sleepn_accord@Sep 27 2004, 09:24 PM
check your vtm.

When I tried installing my field's (PIECE OF SHIT) vtec controller, I had the same problem..turned out the VTM had popped out.
[post=395550]Quoted post[/post]​

What's is the VTM? I'm unfamilar with that term. :shrug2:

Originally posted by NyQuiL_AcCoRD@Sep 28 2004, 05:54 PM

[post=395913]Quoted post[/post]​

same here

The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor will kick a code.

I'm wondering if your pressure switch is misreading, or you are low on oil. Miswire VTEC, or have a problem with the ECT, and you will get a code.

Low oil pressure may not kick on your oil light, but could cause VTEC not to work. Also, there is a screen that gets clogged around the VTEC solenoid area. I honestly have not had to do this, but I have heard about it.

How does your buddies' car redline at 7200 when the ECU is chipped for 9400?

Also, I really doubt your friends car should ever hit 9400.

Is your car actually cutting out at 6800, and bouncing the rev limiter, or is it just losing power at 6800 and maintaining a constant engine speed? You don't get shit for power without VTEC in the H22. This may be the key between a faulty sensor or an oil problem.

Originally posted by tab+Sep 28 2004, 09:30 PM-->
NyQuiL_AcCoRD
@Sep 28 2004, 05:54 PM

[post=395913]Quoted post[/post]​

same here

The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor will kick a code.

I'm wondering if your pressure switch is misreading, or you are low on oil. Miswire VTEC, or have a problem with the ECT, and you will get a code.

Low oil pressure may not kick on your oil light, but could cause VTEC not to work. Also, there is a screen that gets clogged around the VTEC solenoid area. I honestly have not had to do this, but I have heard about it.

How does your buddies' car redline at 7200 when the ECU is chipped for 9400?

Also, I really doubt your friends car should ever hit 9400.

Is your car actually cutting out at 6800, and bouncing the rev limiter, or is it just losing power at 6800 and maintaining a constant engine speed? You don't get shit for power without VTEC in the H22. This may be the key between a faulty sensor or an oil problem.
[post=396009]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, check the oil, and I added a little more oild to be sure.

Well, Im getting NO check light for anything.

The car runs fine, but when I get on the car, I don't feel the pull when the vtec kicks, and I can't hear the cams shift into vtec.

Could it be my vtec solenoid?

And, if its senors problem, wouldn't my car send check light?

Also, when I redline it stays at 6800, and at the constant speed.

Originally posted by NyQuiL_AcCoRD@Sep 29 2004, 04:11 PM

The car runs fine, but when I get on the car, I don't feel the pull when the vtec kicks, and I can't hear the cams shift into vtec.

[post=396307]Quoted post[/post]​

It sounds like the solenoid, but the solenoid valve itself would kick a check engine light. However, if that screen that I spoke of is clogged, then it could be a simple fix.

The loss of power at 6800 could be from VTEC not engaging. Those big VTEC lobes cause your engine to breathe a lot better up top. Take away the good breathing, and well, you get the point. If the cutout were electronic, like the real rev limiter(IE, pegging the throttle while out of gear.....), then the engine speed would bounce, drop, bounce, drop, etc.

OK. No codes. No VTEC. Rev limiter not kicking. ECT would cause the rev limiter. Not that. Pressure switch malfunction, code, not that.

I'm really leaning toward my first assumption. Unless your oil pump is tired, that's my *edumacated* guess.

Originally posted by tab+Sep 29 2004, 09:45 PM-->
NyQuiL_AcCoRD
@Sep 29 2004, 04:11 PM

[post=396307]Quoted post[/post]​

It sounds like the solenoid, but the solenoid valve itself would kick a check engine light. However, if that screen that I spoke of is clogged, then it could be a simple fix.

The loss of power at 6800 could be from VTEC not engaging. Those big VTEC lobes cause your engine to breathe a lot better up top. Take away the good breathing, and well, you get the point. If the cutout were electronic, like the real rev limiter(IE, pegging the throttle while out of gear.....), then the engine speed would bounce, drop, bounce, drop, etc.

OK. No codes. No VTEC. Rev limiter not kicking. ECT would cause the rev limiter. Not that. Pressure switch malfunction, code, not that.

I'm really leaning toward my first assumption. Unless your oil pump is tired, that's my *edumacated* guess.
[post=396466]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, as for the boucing speed. When I reach 6800 rpm in first gear, the speed stays at 45, and it doesn't bounce back or anything.

Well, I'll check out the solenoid for any clogs.

Also, Im running on my buddy's ECU, which is suppose to redline at 9400. I don't know why he wants to rev that high any way. Well, I'm using it now, but I'm still stopping 6800 rpm, not reachin' the stock 7200. And I'm not passing the 7200 rpm either.

what ecu is this? did you have this problem with the stock p13 ecu?

The VTM is the oil pressure switch.

on h22 you have:
vtec solenoid
oil pressure switch
vehicle speed sensor
knock sensor which are required for vtec engagement.

Originally posted by sleepn_accord@Sep 30 2004, 05:53 AM

on h22 you have:
vtec solenoid
oil pressure switch
vehicle speed sensor
[post=396629]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, with my stock P13 ECU, allows my motor to redline at 6800 rpm, and I have no vtec. My buddy's ecu is a chipped JUN P13 ECU. The ECU is suppose to let my motor redline up to 9400 rpm. But the JUN ECU is acting like my stock P13.

I have another question. Could it my secondary riders, maybe its not opening?

Originally posted by sleepn_accord@Sep 30 2004, 05:53 AM

on h22 you have:
vtec solenoid
oil pressure switch
vehicle speed sensor
[post=396629]Quoted post[/post]​

his speedo and tach are working. The knock sensor will kick a code, but VTEC will still work, I know first hand.

I would think that the VTEC pressure switch would kick a code if the signal for pressure was not right at the engine speed for VTEC engagement.

If I were there, I'd try to help more.

Sorry everyone. It was the ECU the whole time. It was funny how I found out.

Story:

I had my friend replace my stock ECU with the chipped ECU. I was chilling, away from the car, and not paying attention to what he was doing. Well, my buddy actually plugged up the ECU to the ABS system underneath the mate, rather than removing the plate, to get to the ECU under the plate. So, I was driving around with my stock ECU, and a chipped ECU plugged up to the ABS system. :lmao:

When I discovered this, I just laughed my ass off. I never seen anything like this in my entire life. What a dumbass huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I would like to thank everyone on here for the help. I appreciate all the information ya'll gave me.

As for the car, now the car pulls hard. Oh yeah, vtec is great!

Originally posted by NyQuiL_AcCoRD@Oct 1 2004, 09:26 PM

Story:

I had my friend replace my stock ECU with the chipped ECU. I was chilling, away from the car, and not paying attention to what he was doing. Well, my buddy actually plugged up the ECU to the ABS system underneath the mate, rather than removing the plate, to get to the ECU under the plate. So, I was driving around with my stock ECU, and a chipped ECU plugged up to the ABS system. :lmao:

When I discovered this, I just laughed my ass off. I never seen anything like this in my entire life. What a dumbass huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I would like to thank everyone on here for the help. I appreciate all the information ya'll gave me.

[post=397357]Quoted post[/post]​

Um yeah, we might have overlooked that possibility. I'll be sure to warn others not to do this. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad your up and running.

Where did you get the ECU you use now?? I have an ECU problem as well!!
same deal you had EXCEPT:
i HAVE Vtec, i Revlimit at 6500~6800 if i'm in VTEC too long (12-15 seconds [i know that's a long time, but something is wrong and i'm only in it for that long in 4th or 5th gear]) i get a check engine light.
i NEEEEED A STOCK (or nicely chipped) JDM H22 ECU!!!!!!

Originally posted by NyQuiL_AcCoRD@Oct 2 2004, 02:26 AM

Story:

i'm glad you got it fixed, but I don't quite understand why it wasn't working...you had two ECU's plugged up @ the same time?? never heard of this

Originally posted by spectacle+Oct 6 2004, 07:02 PM-->
NyQuiL_AcCoRD
@Oct 2 2004, 02:26 AM

Story:

When I discovered this, I just laughed my ass off. I never seen anything like this in my entire life. What a dumbass huh?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

i'm glad you got it fixed, but I don't quite understand why it wasn't working...you had two ECU's plugged up @ the same time?? never heard of this
[post=399259]Quoted post[/post]​

I had my stock ECU plugged up to the port for the ECU, and the chipped the was plugged up to the ABS sport. On my car, the ecu, and the ABS port are in the same here.

So I was still running on the stock ECU. And the other ECU was just there, plugged to the ABS port.

Crazy huh?

Bandit66:

Well, as far as a JDM P13 ECU stock, your vtec should enage at 5500 rpm, until you reach 7200 rpm, which is your rev-limit.

12 to 15 second in vtec? That is pretty long, espescially 4th gear. When Im pushing it, vtec should go pretty quick.

As for the check engine light, I have no idea.

The ECU Im running on is a JDM p13 with a JUN chip.

Back