Official aircraft post..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i lived directly under the last mile of approach for LRAFB for awhile and used to love it when the C5s would rumble in overhead. C-130s ftw though. especially 30 of them doing touch and goes. makes a girl wonder if the crew ever gets tired of people gawking up from their back yards?

On 9/11/01 they scrambled jets that morning from the base to head to the east coast. One plane went supersonic right over the city. It was so loud, people started panicing, thinking Dayton had been attacked too.

yeah, i used to hear that happen quite a bit over my g'rents' ranch in SE NM. birds from holloman afb would cruise over the area and break the barrier pretty damn often. i guess people complained because it spooked the cattle. my fam didn't mind it tho, came from the perspective that it spooked the mountain lions, coyotes, and bears too ^_^

guess they're not 'allowed' to do it anymore...has been a few years since i've heard it. quite a f!cking thrill though, gets the heart pounding.

I live about 15 miles or so from Edwards Air Force Base and I hear sonic booms day in and day out...and I love every minute of it :D

Clayton, I am actually considering being an Aircraft mechanic... I haven't looked into it much yet though. Is there any one aspect of the plane I could specialize in? Or do you pretty much have to learn how to work on the entire plane?

FAA A&P Lic is Airframe and powerplant. 2 years, and you will know all the systems, and engines....and can work on anything....

in essance...it's just a lic that allows you to learn.

good money in it, and tons of job openings.

FAA A&P Lic is Airframe and powerplant. 2 years, and you will know all the systems, and engines....and can work on anything....

in essance...it's just a lic that allows you to learn.

good money in it, and tons of job openings.
Sounds good. I'll look into it more :)

the program i was in was for 19 months...

its been a while, but if memory serves, you need ~2100 hours of training before you are eligible to take the tests.. not sure if this is common. but i had roughly 600 hours of "general" training, 750 hours of "airframe" training and 750 hours of "power plant" training..

after you complete general, and airframe and/or power plant, you will be eligable to take the general written test and the airframe and/or power plant written tests. after you have passed those, you get to take an oral and practical test, one for all 3 subjects... finally after passing all of that you will get your license :)

about specializing, its tough to say, really.. after getting my license, i got a job at a turbine engine overhaul shop, and i am overhauling PT6T engines :)

Back