OMG I've installed Vista! (sort of)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Anyone else having trouble with custom themes? I got a few off deviantart but either they wont work or they work but turn off transparency with no way to turn it back on :(

I figure if I'm gonna do vista, I might as well make it look good. I have vista on my laptop also, and have always had transparency off and a plain black background but I'm tired of that now.

eh aero, compiz, i dont use em too much. i mean the tranparency of the window manager is nice but thats all i use. i stopped using all the 3D stuff, no real need.

Compiz has always seemed, to me, like something to do when you're bored for the most part. There's a few cool/productive things in there I guess, but most of it is just rice

for actually constructive purposes id say compiz was better (transparency works a little better). Other than that. they are both retarded. i dont really use compiz or any other "bling" window managers.

I stopped using compiz for the most part. I had to keep shutting it off to make certain programs work right.

ok im getting pissed. im trying to move my installation onto another drive. mainly because im consolidating my OS's onto 1 640GB drive. rather than 2 320GB drives. this saves space and cable mess because the 320s are IDE and the 640 is SATA.

anyway. when i install server 2008 onto the new drive and try to activate it. it tells me that the key is already activated. duh ive installed it before, but i want it on the new drive. ive called about 5 different 800 numbers to call microsoft and get nothing but the run around and eventually a "disconnected" call. ive tried making a drive image to copy the activated installation over to another drive and thats not working either, im using DriveImage XML but every time it says that the VSS service is not running (although it is) and it says that it cannot continue byt the image may be damaged. when it completes, sure enough it wont load up into windows.

any suggestions either on how to get windows to activate on this new drive, or a GOOD drive imaging software to use thats free so i can just copy everything over to the new drive.

yea, only one, if you go back to the site it gives you thhe same key you got before. if worst comes to worst, ill get a new key using my brothers or gfs student status

did you get verified through dreamspark? lol

I really like Server 2008 so far. Seriously, this thing hasn't slowed down on me on any of the programs I've ran. I have Vista on my laptop and it lags on the simplest tasks. I don't game much, but in the last week I've installed Portal and Crysis Warhead and they seem to run just fine too, so that's a plus.

Thanks again for the info on this.

server 2008 is the same as vista sp1. just a little more slimmed down. adding the workstation and visuals do even it out a bit. 2008 is still a little lett resource intensive. at idle mine uses about 900-1200MB ram. my linux machine uses like half that lol.

Back