Opinons before I drop money

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projektcrx

Before I spend the money I just want your opinions. 1993 civic hatch, should I get a b18c5 and use nitrous or should I go b18c1 and turbo? Looking for reliability and 11-12 second 1/4 times.

thanks

for a 11-12 second car you will pretty much need to go turbo. plus you will need to build the motor, and maybe some nitrous anyway.

Yeah, getting that on a stock block motor will be hard to do. I'd suggest a sleeved or devcon'd block, new rods and some cams. A 20-25 psi system a decent tranny, good tires and some suspension work to get it to hook should get you into the 11's.

But stock block, you'll be in the 12's.

people who have money to get into the 11's know what it takes to get there. if you don't know what you need, you can't afford it. and if you did know what it takes, you would know that you really don't need an 11 second car. you want an 11 second car? buy a buick grand national and a big turbo. you're there after only $4000.

if you want an 11 second car that is reliable, look into spending around $10k. I don't know of anybody on hondaswap.com that has an 11 second civic. actually, i think i have only seen about 2 11 second cars that weren't owned by people that work at an import shop.

sorry to burst your bubble, but a low 13 second car is a better, more realistic goal and will be a lot more reliable.

You are not bursting my bubble. Also, its not like its for daily driving, I was talking about driving to the track and cruising a little because I have a truck for daily driving. It probably was overkill with the 11 in there but I know I want to be in the 12's. Besides that, I didnt ask what all I needed to do to the motor. I am no honda genius so thats why I asked. I know a little more about mustangs and camaros because that is what I grew up around. As far as a GN, no thanks they are fun to watch, but I myself prefer other cars.

Thanks

i know of very few 12 second imports around me. off the top of my head i can think of three. all turbo dsms. all in constant states of repair on a regular schedule. as i type this two need new motors.

get a b18c1 build it up,turbo it,get it tuned for 300whp,that much power will get you what your looking for in a 2200-2400 pound car with good driver,that would be more reliable than a b18c5 with nitrous

you say you want a track car...what track? road racing, autox, drag? what are you going to be doing at the track. that will help answer a lot.

get nick, that is why I put 1/4 times in the first post. Sorry, I figured everyone would know what I was talking about.

i would do the gsr and turbo over the typeR with nos or you can always do a built sleaved b16 and turbo, depens on how much money you have to spend and get some real tuning on the turbo and you should have no problems hitting your goal

get an H22A Type S swap for $3600 from hmotorsonline. Build it and get it tuned to 250-270 whp, and you are into the 11s if you know how to shift. It's been done more than once in the states. You'll probably spend about as much as a high powered turbo setup, engine building, and tuning on top of your GSR swap, maybe a couple grand more. Personally if I could do it all over again, I'd have gone H22 type S all the way. Even unbuilt with just the basic bolt ons youre into the mid to high 13s right off the bat. Some tuners have claimed high 12s with bolt ons and a good tune. Probably cost to ten to fifteen grand to go all the way, if you have to pay to have the work done.

If your heart is set on a B18 though, consider the low buck option: get a cheap B18B LS swap, reinforce the block, build the bottom end, and boost the fuck out of it. It's a lot easier, not to mention THOUSANDS of dollars cheaper than going with a B18C1 or C5, and it's a lot easier to boost a non-vtec honda motor than a vtec motor.

I disagree with the built up all motor H22. You'll go faster for the same amount of cash (actually, less) in a boosted stock block GSR compared to an all motor H22.

what a waste. I know 4 10s cars that drive everyday. I know 3 11s that drive everyday. And even more 12s cars. In fact i drive a 94 hb that runs 12.4 stock gsr motor and 10lbs of boost. It makes 290 at the wheels. And Ive only spent 3grand building it. Yes to run 10s you need the cash but 11s isnt that hard. In fact out of the 3 11s cars my friends drive 2 of them are stock blocks. Iv even seen a high 10 stock block lsv. Of course it only ran for about a week. It all comes down to a really good tune. All of these cars have been tuned and retuned. A good tune is like the hand of god! Another thing all these cars are running NepTune and thats one of the reason why I stand by NepTune no matter what.

Just swap in an LS (B18A/B). With the right fuel and a good tune, you could run 17 psi on the thing stock from top to bottom and you should be good for a 12 if you can drive it.. you deffinatley will need a good tune though, or you might as well just run water instead of oil. :wink:

Back