Paint?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the proper steps,
1,sand the car
2,clean the car.
3,prime the car
4,wet sand until smooth.
5clean the car again
6,paint
7 clear coat
8 wet sand again
9,buff

Car looks really good for a spray can job. Too much work for what its worth IMO. I just go to Maaco and spend 400-500 bucks and it comes out great. But :thumbsup: for the DIY paint.

I considered trying to do my own paint job but elected to just pay for it. I at least have some experiance mechanically. Auto body is next to nil. I figure i can sand it down and prime it (?) but that is as far as i will go.

Better man than me, good job...

smartest thing to do is getting it done professionally like Maaco.. why I say this is for the quality of job you will get. Sure you can spray bomb it and do all the work while spending 100-300 dollars.. or go to maaco for 5-600 with no flawds. Plus they used better based paint. To do the job yourself you would be looking no less than 300 dollars for paint alone. For the unexperienced, its not just slapping some paint on.. you have cleaning, fixing, sanding, preparation.. than painting. Not to mention the dust you will get in the paint from a paint job that is not in a booth, just saying, if you love your honda, get a real paint job.

Depending on the color you want, you may have to have it mixed. As far as how much paint, that all depends on how many coats you want. Than a clear protective coat wouldn't hurt either. This is something I plan on "toying" with in the future. Until then.... Maaco.
I thought the local maaco was bought out? guess not....

I heard Maaco was cheap and sucky and that they only use 1 layer of paint. I think my friend took his car in there and they didnt get all the jams and stuff.

I painted my car for way less then 300 bucks, it was more like 80 bucks.

As for maaco, their cheapest job is only one layer, obviously you can pay extra and they'll shoot extra layers and do the job how ever you want.

I heard Maaco was cheap and sucky and that they only use 1 layer of paint. I think my friend took his car in there and they didnt get all the jams and stuff.

i've had two paintjobs done at maaco on civic coupes. they did a phenomenal job for what i paid. if they missed the jambs, then you tell them they missed it and they will re-do it. they oversprayed on mine and left some pieces looking pink instead of milano red. told them it wouldn't cut it and they manager was happy to take it back. he even fired the guy who painted it because it was his third shitty job in a row.

big companies care about reputation, even if it is cheap. i took the car to my import shop and he told me that the same exact paint job would cost him $2500 to do and that it looked great.

go in with the expectation of quality, and don't pay for bottom of the line and maaco will treat you right.

thanks get_nick. you changed my mind about them some. i've always had a bad image of them since when I bought my car, the front bumper had a macco paint job done. it was a red bumper some dude got from the junkyard, and had it painted black over top. but your right, it wasnt macco's fault. that dude that owned the car before me was just a cheap ass. it looked OK at first when i bought it, only a few little little specks of red here and there, but ya as time goes on and rocks chip away at the black, it's looking horrible.

1 gallon for the whole car? like 1 gallon primer, 1 gallon color, 1 gallon clear coat?

opinions on House of Colors paints? just looking for a pearl black (maybe).

thanks for a good discussion fellas!

i don't know what all you need, but both times i spent about $800 and couldn't tell the difference from a $3000 paint job. if you can deal with a little overspray, you'll be fine. it gets bad when they just shoot over factory stuff for $249.

just make sure you wet the floor were your gonna spray it that will keep the dust down and it traps the overspray from sticking to the floor

ya just try it your self ask some painters... me and my freinds made a paint booth with drains and a vent system and it's pretty good for us the jobs we did out of there came out pretty good just we had alot of wet sanding cause the clear is a little tricky to spray. just make a closed in spot before you shoot your paint and clear as for where you do body work anywhere that you can as long as you keep it clean you'll almost wanna take soapy water like dish soap ( and wash it good right before )after you get your body work done with primer on and ready for paint of course

and one last thing if you wanna save money use an off brand paint like lemmco or somthing in that sort you don't have to go with top of line dupont and stuff

way to bring back a thread from the dead dude

Maaco isn't always the best either. My friend got a paint job their and it sucked hard. If you want to do it right DIY. That is what I am doing, but I work in a paint shop where I get use the paint booth, sand paper, and tools. Looks good from the pics, next step wet sand and buff!

DO NOT USE MAACO>> 2 coats of silver will not cover anything. ... you will see right through it. you need to use 3 or 4. take it to a real body shop or custom shop. a good paint job will run from $2000-4000..but your car is completely taken apart and painted properly, not with door handles, mouldings and lights in like maaco... the edges will peel in less than a year.. maaco is garbage. you are better off trying yourself.... I paint and work at a 5 star collision shop that is Lexus Certified. if i can get some pictures of my eg on here i will show you..

here are a few pics of my car when i first painted it about a year ago... it is RX-8 Velocity red pearl.. I've got new wheels and headlights since..
I took it completely apart and painted all the jambs etc.( haven't painted engine bay yet, but will with swap!)
try it yourself... its the only way to learn. you can read all you want but it doesn't mean a damn thing untill you do it and get the experience..
a gallon of each primer, base and clear, with all the reducers and hardners is all that you will need to do a complete.. you will have more then enough primer..

Car looks really good for a spray can job. Too much work for what its worth IMO. I just go to Maaco and spend 400-500 bucks and it comes out great. But :thumbsup: for the DIY paint.

thats funny because i was gonna do a Maaco job on my hatch.. i went and got quoted, .. $900!?! .. thats when i decided to do the $50 paint job

Back