please help car wont start dont no why?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok thanks guys is it possible for it to be something to do with the timing belt, maybe the timeing off?? woul dthat make all this happen?

thanks

as far as timing specs, for my 91 accord dx how can i figure that out?

thanks

its on the block and gears but thats not something i would recommend you mess with, you can severely damage your engine trying to screw with it

Timing might be a possibility, but i didn't want to go that far, till you gave me more info. But as far as timing, if you don't know how to check, refer to some one who can. When you manage to get it started, is the idle rough or is it rough only when you drive?

timing could be a problem, but I'd like to think that it wouldn't just spontaneously jump. It can, but that's a rare occurance. I'd run through some other diagnostics before you check the timing, such as checking for spark, and a compression test.

take and start the car when it's completely cold. run around to the engine. feel the manifold tubes around each of the cylinders. They should warm up quickly if all cylinders are firing properly. If one is not, that pipe will me much cooler than the rest.

If this happens, then you found your misfire. Then you can limit it to fuel, spark, or compression on that cylinder

That's a great idea. I just thought of doing that on my car, but on a turbo car that's a BAD idea lol.

ok so do u guys say i do check out the timing? or is it prolly not that??

and as far as touching the tubes, are u refering to me header tubes basicly fell them all and make sure?? and i hav enew plugs in just to add i put them in like 2 months ago

thanks

p.s. as so far what [part does it seem to be that went bad out of all the things???

thanks for being such a help too all!

yes. basically feel each tube on the exhaust manifold. The plugs are likely not the problem, as long as you remembered to set the gaps on them.

Right now, the failure point is really looking toward the distributor in my opinion.

ok ok ok thanks so i wil buy and install a new "dizzy" then i will get a new main reley as well, and then i will tell you guys if anything has changed at all but can i have everyones opinon on what they think i should start with replaceing?

thanks guys!

probably the dizzy first. Have you checked to see what fluid is on the plugs yet though?

If the car starts and runs the main relay is fine. Because you replaced your plugs recently does not indicate they are good. A few members have suggested to pull your plugs, which is an excellent starting point. It does sound like a misfire issue so trace it back from your plugs to wires to distributor. You may not need to replace the entire distributor. Ignitors (ICM) are notorious for failng with high mileage. You may have a faulty injector fouling a plug or 2. you will need to do some trouble shooting on your end to pinpoint the problem.

If the car starts and runs the main relay is fine. Because you replaced your plugs recently does not indicate they are good. A few members have suggested to pull your plugs, which is an excellent starting point. It does sound like a misfire issue so trace it back from your plugs to wires to distributor. You may not need to replace the entire distributor. Ignitors (ICM) are notorious for failng with high mileage. You may have a faulty injector fouling a plug or 2. you will need to do some trouble shooting on your end to pinpoint the problem.

This is why he needs to figure out which cylinder is misfiring. From there we can figure out why that one cylinder is misfiring (fouled plug, bad injector, bad distributor/plug wire...)

Budda said:
That's a great idea. I just thought of doing that on my car, but on a turbo car that's a BAD idea lol.

I don't see why you couldn't do it on a turbo, just feel it on the header part before the turbo... probably be easier since you don't have an exhaust (shield)

Last edited:
ok thanks guys so coorect me if im wronge, but i should

1. find out what fluid is on my plugs
2. touch all 4 tubes and c if any stay cold?
3.??

thanks

I have a some what easy way for you to check your timing, if it's not too far off. First get the engine running til it's warm, and you hear the huffing sound from your cold air intake, secondly loosen the bolts that hold the distributor to the engine, then slowly move the distributor either back or forth. If the engine smooths out, hold that position and tighten bolts. If it doesn't, then set it back to it's original position. Also if it doesn't smooth out, it could be too far out of timing or you have some other problem. If it does smooth out, then you found your problem and require either some kind of timing adjustment or repair.

I have a some what easy way for you to check your timing, if it's not too far off. First get the engine running til it's warm, and you hear the huffing sound from your cold air intake, secondly loosen the bolts that hold the distributor to the engine, then slowly move the distributor either back or forth. If the engine smooths out, hold that position and tighten bolts. If it doesn't, then it it back to it's original position. Also if it doesn't smooth out, it could be too far out of timing or you have some other problem. If it does smooth out, then you found your problem and require either some kind of timing adjustment or repair.

I thought that we were thinking that it was cam timing, ie timing belt slip, not ignition timing...

But yes, do #1, and #2. Tell us what you come up with, and we will come up with a #3.

Oil on the plugs=black and slippery
Gas=somewhat cleaner/clearer and smells like gas

i thought that we were thinking that it was cam timing, ie timing belt slip, not ignition timing...

But yes, do #1, and #2. Tell us what you come up with, and we will come up with a #3.

Oil on the plugs=black and slippery
gas=somewhat cleaner/clearer and smells like gas

if the cam timing is not too far off, this might tell.

i worked for honda for 8 years, you'd be surprized at some of the things i've seen that shouldn't occur.

ok, 99% of the time it isn't going to work like that. MOST LIKELY the problem is going to be a miss on one or more of the cylinders.

If it is running on all four, then we can look into other things, but for now we need to stick the the basics. This kid is new to cars, so there is no need to send him on wild goose chases on things that it most likely isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back