Port n Polish worth it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigBoy

I think my headgasket is leaking so while the head is off i was thinking of taking it to portflow for a p&p, valve job, etc.

Currently

jdm b16
skunk2 stage 2 cams
toda header
apexi ws exhaust
aem cai 3"
p28

Tuned on Crome this netted 182/128 on a dynapack.

Im planning to go with an aebs manifold and itr tb at the same time to max the airflow. So how much should i expect? 10? 15? 20?

Did you mess with internals? You'll see a shitload more power from those cams if you raise your compression while you're at it.

I dunno; I'll throw out some ricer numbers for ya. a PnP will net you 2-3, a TB (if it's any bigger, i don't feel like looking it up) might net you one and the IM might net you one.

Get the TB and IM portmatched while you're at it. Better gains, but more money out of pocket.

Quoted post[/post]]
Did you mess with internals? You'll see a shitload more power from those cams if you raise your compression while you're at it.

I dunno; I'll throw out some ricer numbers for ya. a PnP will net you 2-3, a TB (if it's any bigger, i don't feel like looking it up) might net you one and the IM might net you one.

Get the TB and IM portmatched while you're at it. Better gains, but more money out of pocket.

1 layer headgasket gives me 11:1 compression. 2-3? Theres a place in socal called Hookups, and they guarantee 20 whp! When I do the port n polish, I might mill the head a little bit to bump the compression. I doubt portmatcing the manifold will make a difference.

Quoted post[/post]]
its expensive... this is ian's (gsrcrxsi) head that came back from portflow. https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...opic=63325&st=0 but the question is... is it worth it?

Id like to see a before and after dyno. Ill be pissed if i spend $1000 for 5 hp

you cant put a number on a port job. every motor is different. but i will say this more power will be had from a good valve job, then the actual porting.

and you wont get a before and after, cause for one, i didnt dyno it before, and when i put this head on, then entire build of the engine is changing so you wont really be able to guage it from a previous dyno. you cant really compare a stock enging to a built engine and try to pin point the net gain from one specific mod. theres just too many variables.

and about the price. first i paid about 1000 for a good amount of work, not just porting. heres the rough breakdown:

shipping to : 50
all work done: 900
-disassemble/ clean/ inspection
-port & polish
-multi-angle valve job
-deshroud valve area in chamber
-polish chambers
-surface deck
-assembly / new seals included
shipping back : 50

the work put into this head was probably the best money ive spent by far, and is 100% worth the money to have done by professionals and not just some random shop. the head came back clean enough to eat off of, as you can see. and trust me, it will make more then 5 hp :)

Back