Power Consumption thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm friends with him on facebook. he's still in st pete. he's big into crossfit now.. he got huge.

On top of the leaky house, we're both warm-house people... We have the temp set at 77 right now. The first full month of heat will be on the gas bill this month... I'm legitimately worried about it. :ph34r:

77 isn't warm. that's ridiculous. luckily gas is the cheapest way to heat right now.

My future mother in laws apartment has always had a problem with the heat not working right. It is like 75-80 been like that for over 20 years. It is way too hot in there and it is just way too hot for me. They got used to it and years later my fiance is always cold. I try to keep the place around 67-70.

$2300 was not a correct estimate....it was around $3200, i forgot when we first bought the house we had to pay around 700 dollars at closing for the oil that was already in there which was a full tank almost and plus i found all of our oil receipts. so we spent $3200 in oil last year

soo after talking to 4 other good friends of mine who have wood inserts, i boiled it down to a Avalon Hybrid Fyre or a Harman 300I...getting prices now...my buddy had propane for heating, getting delivery about every 3 weeks, he put in the Avalon and hasn't bought propane since...my other buddy has another avalon, only spent $500 on oil last year and still has some left going into this year.

My wife just went to her friends house today who had one(enviro boston?) and they told her they barley ever need to buy oil.

I can fit about 1.5 -2 cords of wood in my garage and i will just get it delivered as needed as one of my best friends owns a tree company :)

I think on a very conservative estimate...figuring 600-800 dollars on about 4 cords of wood per year. let's say i spend $800 in oil a year, i would say about $1600/year in savings, and i think thats being very conservative because my house is pretty efficient. i think it will be more like $2000 a year in savings from oil maybe more.

So those are wood burners not pellet stoves? As much as I love a good real wood fireplace, the downside is the cleanup needed as far as ash removal and stuff from the firebox. I would think there's much less of that with pellets.

We had a wood burning insert when I was a kid, and granted it didn't have a blower and I'm sure the technology is night and day nowadays, but it would be blazing downstairs/cold upstairs because the heat didn't circulate throughout the house.

I'm thankful for relatively cheap natural gas this time of year.

On top of the leaky house, we're both warm-house people... We have the temp set at 77 right now. The first full month of heat will be on the gas bill this month... I'm legitimately worried about it. :ph34r:

Jeebus man. The furnace must run nonstop. We keep ours at 70, and it's programmed to dial down to 64 during the days nobody is home.

Jeebus man. The furnace must run nonstop. We keep ours at 70, and it's programmed to dial down to 64 during the days nobody is home.

Pretty much, yeah. :) The stat drops down to 70 during the weekdays when no one's home, and bumps back up about 30 minutes before we get home in the evening.

I'm looking at adding additional blown insulation to the attic, and I have the 3M shrinkwrap stuff on all the windows. The picture window leaks heat like crazy so I'm thinking about double-bagging that one. :)

We have a little prefab fireplace, I really need to get it swept and fired up.

So those are wood burners not pellet stoves? As much as I love a good real wood fireplace, the downside is the cleanup needed as far as ash removal and stuff from the firebox. I would think there's much less of that with pellets.

We had a wood burning insert when I was a kid, and granted it didn't have a blower and I'm sure the technology is night and day nowadays, but it would be blazing downstairs/cold upstairs because the heat didn't circulate throughout the house.

I'm thankful for relatively cheap natural gas this time of year.

Yeah wood burning with blowers.....i'll man up and deal with the clean up and stacking 4 cords of wood every year to save $1500-$2000 a year. Until i'mlike 50 and don't want to deal with it anymore lol

On a side note, in my continuing effort to decrease energy costs, I'm replacing my 25 year old uninsulated windows next month. We've been talking about it for a few years, and the outer pane of one of them was broken from a rock strike by a neighbors kid. I reckon I may spend somewhere around 25% less on heating/cooling costs so after a period of time they will pay for themselves, not to mention they won't have bent and broken screens that invite bugs and insects to come inside if we open the windows.

Yeah wood burning with blowers.....i'll man up and deal with the clean up and stacking 4 cords of wood every year to save $1500-$2000 a year. Until i'mlike 50 and don't want to deal with it anymore lol

Thats when you give the neighborhood kids $20 bucks to move and stack it for you. I used to make a few bucks doing that.

e728a9e7e8a3a05cc84cd7253802895e987def3d304dffe93b4cd442ea557365.jpg

Burning wood is a bitch for someone who isn't home all day. You need to poke at it every couple hours. You'll wake up to a cold house. Have to hire a real sweep instead of just vacuuming it out... The pros for pellet is pretty much everywhere unless you scavenge your own wood for free, and i don't think you have the property for that.

If you're gone all day, pellet is the way to go. I clean it once a week (Takes about 15 min) and otherwise just dump a bag or 2 a day into it... when i leave for work and when i go to bed to make sure its topped off while i'm MIA.
I burn about 1.5 bags a day.

Harman>Enviro>avalon
at least in the pellet world. not sure how the wood stoves stack up.

The biggest issue with wood is the bugs and critters, the mess staining your floors with every load you bring in... the fact that you have to bring it in at all in the first place, and then still waking up cold because it died at 3am.

That's exactly why we haven't even had our chimney swept yet. At one point we even considered mounting our TV right in front of it. :)

It would just be a one-fire-to-help-warm-things-up-in-the-evening-and-provide-ambiance thing, not a way to seriously offset the heating bill.

The three best options for us are:

Harman 300I wood burning $3900 installed

Harman Accentra 52i Pellet $5100 installed

Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 Pellet $4000 installed

Avalon Hybrid wood burning $4800 installed

My Wife loves the look of the Harman Accentra the best...

Now we just need to sit down and decide

the 52i is a bad ass stove, new this season.

blows away the quad (actually made by the same parent company as harman). I don't know how big/open your floor plan is, but IMO, you can't go wrong with a bigger stove. bigger heat sinks allow it to heat more air with the same fire.

oh, and demand they install an OAK (outside air kit) for fire intake air. It makes a world of difference in drafts. I got mine retrofitted this summer and this seasons burning has been WAY better

oh, and demand they install an OAK (outside air kit) for fire intake air. It makes a world of difference in drafts. I got mine retrofitted this summer and this seasons burning has been WAY better

Yeha the Harman Accentra 52I is what we are going with we decided last night. The place must have closed early due to the storm as no one was answering the phone at 5pm-6pm.

Hopefully i can get a hold of someone today and get the ball rolling

You're probably not going to get it any time soon. Most places have a 3+ month install window.

What dealer are you going through?

Back