pretty nice new item, just noticed..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMilan

I was looking through some of our shop catelogs and noticed in the greddy book that they have a "relief valve".

This valve is used as a secondary safety device to protect against boost spike and over boost. It seemed pretty cool to me and it's pretty cheap. Goes for like 100 or so bucks..not too bad for protection.

Just wanted to throw that out to you guys out there, some of you i guess have heard of it, but shit I haven't.. :hmm:

no, it's like a blowoff valve except it is set at a certain psi so lets say you normally boost at 7psi, and you noticed that sometimes you spike, this will appearently eliminate that spike so that you don't overboost.

if you had a decent mnaifold and a proper wastegate in the first place, this part wouldn't be necessary :)

yeah but I think it is a good item for those that have turbo kits that tend to spike, and the bov would work when the TB closes thus creating pressure from the turob to the TB thus causing the TB to have a harder time opening up when you punch it again, this unit seems to leak boost out during throttle much like a properly working wastegate.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Sep 26 2003, 11:36 AM
yeah but I think it is a good item for those that have turbo kits that tend to spike, and the bov would work when the TB closes thus creating pressure from the turob to the TB thus causing the TB to have a harder time opening up when you punch it again, this unit seems to leak boost out during throttle much like a properly working wastegate.

umm your right foot controls the throttle body...id LOVE to see an amount of pressure that causes the throttle body to have a harder time opening..8 million psi maybe?

and "a properly working wastegate" DOES NOT leak boost...it leaks EXHAUST

Originally posted by JDMilan@Sep 26 2003, 11:36 AM

so its a wastegate on the charge pipe that LEAKS boost. thight... so why dont people run these instead of wastegates. It could be a substitute. Its like haveing 2 wastegates. I guess that is sorta a waste of money though.

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Sep 28 2003, 02:11 PM
so its a wastegate on the charge pipe that LEAKS boost. thight... so why dont people run these instead of wastegates. It could be a substitute. Its like haveing 2 wastegates. I guess that is sorta a waste of money though.

no, not at all

it sounds like a valve that is attached to the charge pipe, and the just the spring inside it regulates how much boost you will hold

wastegates and bov's operate on VACCUUM/BOOST...and the spring

if people used only these instead of wastegates, then the turbo would over spool and it would overheat and kill the seals

I thought the BOV was suppose to protect the turbo when the trottle body was closed instantly after heavy boost.

the bov works when the throttle closes under any boost...cause there is a negative vaccum in the intake mani and positive pressure in the charge pipe- causing the bov to open

Back