project civic 'poor mans type r' 56k warning

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nice project. I wish I could afford all that, too bad the valve guides were bad. Poorman's nothing. More like 'clean civic type r'. Btw, it's easy to clean out a filthy engine bay with a little bit of steam. ;)

Honestly, I'd ask the machine shop who did the head the first time how they missed the valve guides. Sounds suspect to me. Why'd they keep it? To swap it into someone else's head and start the cycle all over again? But then again, the doctors tell me I have "Acute Paranoia," so follow that last bit only if it makes sense to you.

They never saw a valve guide split like that so they thought it was cool, the guides were obviously bad (tolerance was off on 12 of the 15 and one was split in half), different shop did my head this time. I don't like to point blame, but when things go wrong I go to different people, the old shop said they would do the work again if I supplied the parts. If it was them I'm not going to let them screw it up again, even if it is for free.

hows the project? Ohh and dont get the bigger injectors if you havent gotten them yet. Unless your going turbo you shouldnt need anything bigger than the 310's. also the cams are fine well. Toda3's are hella expensive and even though they are badass they shouldnt be rquired to get 220hp.

just my thought. Nice build and hope things are going well

everything is together. Don't have pic's yet because it is dark and my fluorescents in my garage are acting up cause its cold as hell. Good news and bad news, started it up, and it ran really well at idle at least. Will not run under its own power. Don't have any idea what thats all about. It does go in reverse now (nice to have a trans that works right), no leaks, idles great about 1000rpm, sounds mean as hell. Now back to the bad news. The Check engine light wont give me a code. The car will not pull its own weight, it sputters and dies, so I'm thinking the startup tune chip I had made for me is crap. We timed it but to get 0 we had to move the distributer all the way forward towards the firewall, but the guy said he retarded it on the chip although I am a noob at tuning so I don't know if that would affect it at all. Plugs got pulled and they are covered in the soot you see when a car is getting way too much fuel. Fuel Pressure is now at 52psi from the rail, thinking I should lower that with the 440 RC's, but the chip is set for 52psi.

All in all with a better tune and leaning the damned thing out I think everything will work out fine, motor sounds good, doesn't look like anything mechanical this time.

Last edited:
Update: threw the old tune chip in the ecu and codes are gone but it wont start now, thinking thats cause the old tune is for 310cc injectors and 70 psi of fuel pressure. Going to get a chip from a new tuner that I hear is the best around here this week so I can drive it to him for a full tune, I'm sick of tow trucks.

i thought your fuel psi shoud be at arounf 46ish. I remember when my buddy installed his walbro pump, his car would not stay on and fouled the plugs in seconds. COme to find out it was fuel psi shot up to 60+. He turned the FPR down at it idled fine.

then again his was turbo car. His compresssion was nowhere near where you are

UPDATE:

It is running. No problems except a small drop in rpm's when letting it drop to neutral, it hits about 280 rpm's then climbs back to about 900 and stays steady. It's only on a partial tune right now till i break it in but drove it around town.
Pulls really hard (only using about 50% throttle max though for at least a little while). VTEC at partial throttle sounds feels really good can't wait for a full throttle run through the gears. There's no real smoke, nothing more than normal break in.
I'm very happy with it and can't wait to get a full tune on the dyno.

Pictures tomorrow, going to wash all the dust and grime from before off it, fluorescents still aren't working well in the cold.

Back