Proper Launch Technique?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Frankie P.

Hey guys, what's up? I was just wondering what the best launch to get off the line? I was at the track yesterday, and tried what I usually do, which is rev up to 2500 - 3000 RPM's, and then drop the clutch. The first time I ran I did pretty bad as my clutch popped out of first, and the second one, I did well and got little to no wheel bounce. After that I lowered my tire pressure and could not get it down right? I was talking to a few guys, and they feather the clutch. Is that better or worse for your clutch? I know dropping it isn't the best, but feathering it seems like it would burn it out more. Thanks ahead of time.

You gotta find the right RPM to launch at for YOU. Feathering the clutch is the way to go, less wheelspin=better 60'.

I kind of just ride it off the line till my rpms are above 4k so when I'm totaly off it, my tires don't break lose way too much.

It melts it sure but really, if you're racing, you probably don't give a shit.

Instead of just dumping it and having your foot completely off the clutch, when you launch you let the clutch go about half way while still gradually giving more throttle until you are giving it full throttle and there is full traction(dont stay on the clutch the whole way, just until you get full traction). So basically you are letting go of the clutch slowly while giving it more gas. Kinda tough, but thats why you have to practice and when you get it down you will notice better 60's. Or you could get some slicks, a high performance clutch, LSD, and then you could dump the fucker to your hearts content or until an axle snaps. The latter usually happens first. :p

its not good for the clutch. will burn it for sure. not as bad as you will get burnt by the american muscle car in the next lane though.

hey frank, come back to cali for a bit and i'll take you through my one hour course on "How to Launch on street tires @ the track."

:)

no but seriously me personally on my Red Civic when on street tires at the track all i did was Rev to about 5500 or 6000 RPM and let out the clutch just so when it grabs the gear start playing around with the gas pedal a bit if your losing too much traction or if you feel the car is about to bog... just practice at it and you'll get it down

believe me bro it takes time and practice... you'll get it down though

now see if you were asking about a GSX or an EVO i couldnt tell you shiet about it cause i STILL HAVENT LEARNED how to properly launch my evo

:blink: :wacko:

knowing a lot of people with DSMs I hear about launching technique alot... apparently from what I've heard evo's kinda bog when you launch them, even from a redline drop. GSX's on the other hand launch pretty damn hard from a redline drop. Having personally been in one that did a 1.4 60', I can assure you that its an experience worth fixing the car every run.
So my advice is to drop from pretty high. It may go against your instinct and you may break stuff. But if you want to run low 13's with the evo, thats the way to go. Besides, unlike most DSMs you still have a warranty on your car, so if you melt a few transfer cases you just get another one, so what do you have to lose?~?

Back