PS3 Hard Drive

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EGProject

YEEEEAAHHHHH
Searched the interwebs for data on this, and while the installation looks straight forward I was wondering what everyone's take on buying a first-gen PS3 with a corrupt HD would be.

Looking into buying a used PS3 mainly for playing Blue-rays and for my upcomming purchase of GT5. Don't mind spending some money, but a local friend offered me his first gen 60-gig with a bad hard drive for a really low price.

Short of replacing the HD, any other issues I should be aware of? I don't want to commit to buying it, replacing the HD - and then have it not work. Chris has told me it takes a normal SATA HD, and online I've found that the software will automatically format it for PS3 usage. Short of that I have no experience with PS3's otherwise.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

It tells everything you n eed to know in the instruction book. If you dont have a paper copy just read the online one......... Should just be plug and play as far as i know and maybe some updates form intranets........

It's a regular hard drive and the ps3 should format it for you. The only thing that gets me about it, is it still uses fat32 format. I would love to know how they got around the partition size issue. I have 2 friends with the 60 gig and they still work fine. The only one I know of to have issues is the 40 gig. The bluray drive is known to go on those.

wrongo...

FAT32 max file size is 4GB, partition size 2TB

max boot partition is 2GB

Then why would the computer only let me partition a certain size ( don't remember the exact size but I think it was 30 gig) of my external drive so I could back up my ps3?

Back