Ready or Not, Here comes Windows XP SP2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
TheViffer writes "Beginning April 12, 2005 Microsoft will remove all temporary blocking of Windows XP SP2 by automatic update and Windows update which it has granted to those organizations that requested it. So unless you run Software Update Service (SUS), chances are you will get a mix of SP1 and SP2 running at the same time. Let's just hope you have these programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer and these programs that seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2 patched, upgraded, or removed. Might be a good time for help desk personal to pencil in a week (or two) of vacation."

Link To Slashdot

Link To Full Info

Well look like I'm going to be forced to use SP2, so what's the consensus regarding SP2 is it ok, bad, sucks, not going to give me a headache etc???

No problems with most applications- just turn off the built-in firewall and you'll be ok. The applications which generally have issues are the more professional level programs- a few high level CAD packages or anything else that might need a lower level access to system or network resources than your typical office program that mostly ties into things through the OS.

the online program that we use for our physics class homework recomends not using SP2 because they get so many errors with them. Either they are going to have to fix it or I will actually have to go to our outdate SunSystems Unix labs

Well...I'm already running SP2 and I can say it sucks ass. Its not very stable and there arn't really any advantages to it!

xp sp2 has been out for months... why the big deal now?

anyway, i have it at home, and i have no problems with it.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 22 2005, 08:46 AM
xp sp2 has been out for months... why the big deal now?

anyway, i have it at home, and i have no problems with it.
[post=464412]Quoted post[/post]​

Because now M$ is lifting the restrictions that kept it from being installed on a bunch of different corporate systems. Back when SP2 was released, some companies tested it and made a deal with M$ to not "release" SP2 to certain machines. Now that the self-imposed ban has been lifted, all these machines are going to start installing SP2 on their own- and if they don't, they'll just keep bugging the owners with prompts until they do. It's not a good situation if a company with 1000+ computers needs more time to get everything to jive with SP2.

or for people like me who don't trust M$ and haven't installed it yet

Back