Rear stub axle removal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Racecraft

There is a big nut on the back of the rear stub axle of EG/EK/DC. Does anyone know if you can undo that and press out the stub axle? Or is it a complete unit like the prelude/accord (though these don't have a nut on the back).

I want to fit longer stub axles so the accord/prelude/type R hubs will fit....

im not sure what a rear stub is....

but if you want to do a 5 lug- you need to use the itr with the trailing arms, lca's, etc.. the accords/ludes don't fit.

if you use JDM itr hubs, you will need to run a regular b-series axel, but swap the outers with the accord/lude outers to fit into the larger 36mm hub.

There are other options out there for the ITR/CTR swap using factory parts.

The ITR, HRV, 97-01 CRV and 98-00 Accord, 98-00 Prelude all share the same front calipers.

The HRV also has the 5 stud hub with the 34mm inner and this hub presses straight into the civic knuckle and stock bearing. The HRV also has the 11.1 inch discs. If you use the HRV hubs, disks and calipers you can bolt onto standard civic knuckle without changing driveshafts.

The accord and prelude in Australia both share the same size rear discs as the ITR and also have the same part number on the rear caliper. I have pulled apart a set and found them to fit on a civic trailing arm except for the stub axle. The stub axle is what the rear hub runs on. The stock EG/EK stub axle is too short for the Accord/Prelude hubs and so I need to replace with a longer item if possible. I can machine up a set of new stub axles but am wondering if I can get the old ones off the trailing arm? I haven't got a spare sitting here to try.

i never heard of an HRV. must be unique to where you're from....

the CALIPERS and what not are the same, and the hubs may be as well, but the trailing arms, lcas, and so forth are not, and thus you will still need to get dc2 itr parts for those.... which makes just getting the itr conversion cheaper in the first place.

Mate you don't like look outside the square too much do you?

The HRV set up, at least in Aus, is only about $400AUD (about $250US)
The Prelude rear/Accord rear disc and calliper set up is about $250AUD ($130US) and the only mod required to get this to fit your standard front knuckle and rear trailing arm is the extension of the rear stub axle.

For a total of $380 US you could have complete type R braking with a minimum of cost. Compare that to the $2000US I see USDM ITR setups going for.

You can see why I am interested in knowing whether I can replace the stub axle. As usual I will just have to get a set and try it.

I already have type R discs and calipers on the front of my 4 X 100 civic which only required minimal mods and work perfectly but am looking at the 5 stud conversion.

I just had a reply on another forum and yes the rear stub axle is press in. All I have to do is have a new, longer set machined up and press them in.

Instant type R brake conversion....nice and cheap. Standard axles, standard trailing arms. ALL GOOD, stock looking and wont attract any unwanted attention.

Just have to replace my master cyl from the 15/16ths to 1 inch.

I guess I better find some five stud rims....

i still don't know what an HRV is. could you explain that? is it a car?

as for looking out side of the square.... here, we call it the box. :D be that as it may, do to the rears, you need to run the trailing arms out to the hub assembly. the preludes won't fit. the ITR will. I have no idea what an hrv is, so i can't say whether that will or not.

HRV is a mini CRV available in Jpan and AUS

To do the rears with accord/prelude bits all you need to do is fit a longer rear stub axle in your standard Rear trailing arm, no need for ITR LCAs, trailing arm, shock etc.

The stub axle is the hub support stub that sticks out of your rear trailing arm. The prelude stuff (hub, caliper and disk) then just bolt on.

EG6 Rear`

Do you guys know if I used the EG6 rears and tried to press in the ITR hubs will that work? therefore the control arms are still the same just the hub and bearing would be from an ITR

Back