reliable turbo setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98_4drCIVIC

i have a 98 Civic, and i was thinking about buying my friends 13g and a smic for $100. I was just wondering if anyone on here has a turbo d16y7. if so, is it reliable, and how much boost are you running? the y7 has 9.4/1 compression, so i was thinking 6 psi would be ok on stock internals. the car has to be daily driven, and therefor needs to be reliable. any input/advice would be appreciated...

btw, if i do decide to do the turbo project, i will need a turbo mantifold. if anyone has one that they want to sell, post a reply.

13g? wtf is that from? do you mean 14g?

if you want it reliable, you need good fuel (injectors, pump) and a method to control it (uberdata or hondata), and some dyno/street time with a wideband and someone who knows what they are doing with it.

6-8 psi on that setup will be fine, if tuned correctly.

it is a td04 13g, from a first gen eagle talon tsi. my friend told me it is a 13g, but it says td04 on the housing. the car was in a junkyard and my friends and i pulled it off. it has no shaft play whatsoever. i was also thinking i should do a mini me swap depending on how much it will cost.

it is a td04 13g, from a first gen eagle talon tsi.

d16z6_turbo_P.jpg

TD05h aka 14b turbocharger from a DSM 1g Manual

turbo_td04_P.jpg

The DSM 1g Automatic Turbo. Known as the TD04. The TD04 is basically shaped the same as the 14b in most ways. The exhaust wheel and compressor are a bit smaller. This turbo boost's similar to the DSM T-25 turbo setup.

You don't study that much do you? Did your friend tell you it was a 13g and you just believed him/her? I'd school your friend if I were you, giving you incorrect information and all :p .

For information on how to make a DIY Homemade Turbokit, visit Homemade Turbo and spend a solid hour reading all the tech articles and turbo projects. You will have 90% of your questions answered by doing so.

All you would really need to buy is an HF/CX/VX/[STD(best choice)] Manifold, DSM turbo, DSM BOV, DSM (Sidemount) IC if you want to be a sleeper, A few vacuum lines, hoses for coolant and oil, fittings to tap into your oil pan and manifold, err some fittings for engine management stoof (I forgot what), piping for Intercooler Pipes (Charge Piping), gaskets for your to-be-fabbed turbo adapter, and a custom downpipe you can have made at a good exhaust shop. You can make your own Turbo Adapter out of mild steel and some machining. Since you are going to be using the 14b turbocharger, you will only be able to tap 3 bolt holes on the turbo side. It is advised that you weld the turbo to the adapter plate (with gasket) and weld the bolts on the turbo side, once after all is test fitted.

You'll have to port match the HF/CX/VX/STD Manifold using the gasket from the stock exhaust manifold. You'll also have to port match the Turbo Adapter plate on the manifold side. You will most likely have to custom weld the end tanks to a Stock Intercooler, if you buy an aftermarket one, then you just have to hook up the charge pipes.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING- Engine Managment. You can upgrade your injectors using modified DSM Injectors, and it would be political to get something along the lines of Hondata/TurboEdit/Uberdata/MoTec. It will save you money in the long run. It would be good to get an EGT Gauge, Boost Gauge, and Oil Pressure Gauge so you can see if anything goes wrong when you give it a test ride.

ALL IN ALL, if you make your own kit, you can expect to spend anywhere from $800~$1400 depending on how much of the work you can do yourself and how wild you intend to get with the engine management. You can even make a turbo kit w/o an Intercooler if it's a modest setup.

I don't know what the 1g DSM Turbo maxes out at but I know the Garrett T-25 found in 2g DSM cars maxes out at around 250hp (I think measured at the flywheel). The 1g DSM Turbo has a little lag compared to the T-25.

HOPE THAT HELPS!

I plan on doing a D16z6 homemade turbo setup within the next 12 months :p
I hear ya bro, I want to make a reliable and cost effective kit too. I didn't like the idea of spending $1800-$4000 on some kits when I know I can make better ones on my own for much less, and then sell them on eBay fo' big bucks!!!

:D :D :D

Originally posted by 98_4drCIVIC@Nov 29 2004, 11:25 PM
btw pissedoffsol, my friend brian told me about your car :worthy: .
[post=423946]Quoted post[/post]​

what car? lol

you mean that one thats stripped to nothing?

Yeah thats the one....i dont even know ya and my heart is crushed....poor SoL :kick:

where is it dat i can get those cooling lines cuz i got a td05h. ima put it on ma d16z6. i wana know everything possible about running the lines from the turbo. pls reply!

Back