Rod Knock?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sleepn_accord

After I start the car it sounds fine...for about 30-45 seconds..

after that a 'knock' is heard bewteen 1500-2000 rpm. Above 2000 rpm there is no noise.

In the last few startups the knock has gotten progressively louder.

I tired using a stethoscope to locate the noise..but it seemed to be coming from the valvetrain..

however It seems loudest right behind the header. (could be echoing)..

I drained the oil and filled new oil..which seemed to make the noise worse..

I checked the oil and filter for metal particles (with a magnet) and it had none.

Any suggestions?

I'm ready to just order another h22 and swap it in already.. <_<

Originally posted by EH3B18C@Mar 8 2004, 04:09 PM
when was the last time you clean your ear? that might be the problem.

haha don't yah noobs? but to post something with actual signifigance, try a valve adjustment, loose valves make a clicking noise and since you said it sounded like that was the area it was comming from...id bet thats, a much better alternative to replacing bearings also :)!

that's what i was thinking too, but the valve taps that I have heard usually doesn't decrease as RPM's increase- Does the problem go away when the car is warm? or is it always there when the motor is under 2k RPM?

EH3B18C - :newbie:

Anyway, it's always there below 2,000 RPM.

I would think that a rod knock would be noticeable above 2,000.

But it seems to be getting worse each time I start the car.

The noise rears its ugly head after the car starts to warm up. (As I mentioned above).

The noise is defintily RPM related though. As I increase the RPM's the noise accelerates. But disappears after..well 2000 RPM.

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Mar 8 2004, 04:32 PM
that's what i was thinking too, but the valve taps that I have heard usually doesn't decrease as RPM's increase...also this is clearly audiable from inside the car with the doors closed?

yeah im thinking that maybe the engine noise over 2,000 rpms is drowning it out...

Back