S80 Manual Transmission capabilities?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UNDR8D

...has a job!
How reliable are the S80 hydraulic transmissions? How much power could they handle? I have a B18B from a 95 integra going into a 95 Civic. It may be turbod in the near future and I do not want to have to buy another tranny if this one is particularly fragile or prone to slippage, grinding, etc. I ask this because I have found a low mileage in tact S80 from a 99 integra on ebay. THis will fit the motor correct. I had a hard time finding good info on this anywhere and a search for S80 turned up nothing. THanks

People run b series transmissions to 500+ hp stock. Just get a good clutch to handle the power. Don't "powershift" the thing, and treat it with respect, and it will last. GM Synchromesh tranny fluid works great too!

OK. Well that's comforting. Don't forget though that, from what I have read, there are several different B series transmissions. There are LSD options from the GSR or whatever. This is the a 99 LS tranny with 90k on it. I'd like it to be able to handle 250 whp, which is my eventual target. I figure that's enough to not be ridiculous but still enough to embarass mommy and daddy boys in stock Mustang GTs..

You should be fine. My goal is 250 whp as well on my gsr setup. 90k miles is nothing as long as it was cared for and not totally beaten on. B series trannies (94 and newer) have the same casing, just different gearing. The only gsr trannies that had a lsd option are the jdm ones... which I have :D.

Back