short ram intake question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gonzo_gsr

My car won't start without taking the intake off and shooting starting fluid into the throtle body. There is a vac. hose missing on the intake, is this my problem; or could it be something screwed up with the fuel delivery. After we get it started it runs fine, but I don't want to have to "prime" it every time. Any ideas? Thanks :)

its def. not the intake...iv started my car with out vac lines and all that other -ish even hooked up...i dunno

this is also the wrong forum -----> general tech

well, if you think about what is going on, you can sorta find the problem- you need to spray a super flammable fluid into your motor to make it start- we know that the three things you need to make a car run are fuel, spark, and air.
- Since the car does start there is def. air

- there is most likely fuel since the car eventually starts and runs on it's own, however you could have a terrible tank of gas, or water in the gas tank

- spark could be another thing though- you may have a weak spark and it isn't strong enough to start the gasoline, only the starter fluid, go through your ignition system, maybe do a little tuneup- cap, rotors, plugs, plug wires and see what that does- that's all i can think of

:cliffs:
Could be fuel or spark
Do general tune up of ignition system
Check out the fuel system

PS- i'm not sure using starter fluid on a fuel injected car is good- i've never done it, because i always had the preconceived notion that the components of the starter fluid could be highly corrosive to any plastic in the intake stream- I only use that crap for starting the lawn mower- dunno if i'm right though-

thank you very much. We only tried the starting fluid once to see if it would run, I know its not good for it, but I had to rule out fuel pump problems I just finished a complete tune up with cap, plugs, and plug wires.The car is wrecked, it was a hard hit. Could something in the electronics for the fuel injection have come disconected or damaged.

Anything could be wrong if the car was hit really hard in a wreck... if you're worried about the electronics, go over all your electronics and make sure everything is still hooked up properly.

Back