Short shifter (didn't know where this should go)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

its all good E, the shifter i broke was on a drag car, it was just its time, plus i am kinda a big guy, never broke a short thow shifter on my daily driver...

he probably cut it..

short throw doesn't mean it's lower, mine is only a little lower than stock but the throws are a lot shorter.

i had a cheapo "type r" ebay short throw that cost 24 bucks. i ran it for 2+ years until i finally broke it. coming home from work i broke it in half putting it in 2nd gear. broke inside the knob halfway threaded.

so now i have to buy a shifter and a knob :p

prolly the best mod ive ever done to my car though. went from moving my arm like throwing a baseball shifting 1st-5th, to being able to shift 1-5 with only my wrist.

id go with the b+m some guy on hmt is sellin the for like 45. better than ebay. and for you guys that break them if its just the knob coming off rethread it and youll have a shorter short shifter. thats some "custom" shit right there

Just for the record all my breaks were right above the ball, and I even got My last one aluminum welded at a shop after i broke it and That is the one i recently broke, lol, It had to be on the way out the thing broke while going from first to second and I didn't even get to 2nd it broke off in neutral, It was really weird!

Dont mean the thread jack, but I heard from someone that a short throw shifter puts more stress on your tranny than a regular throw, does anyone know if this is true or not? Its really the only reason I haven't put a short throw on.

i dont see why it would, it just reduces the amount of throw required from the shifter itself.

really doesnt affect the tranny at all besides your shifting faster.

Originally posted by wanderinman@May 8 2005, 03:46 PM
Dont mean the thread jack, but I heard from someone that a short throw shifter puts more stress on your tranny than a regular throw, does anyone know if this is true or not? Its really the only reason I haven't put a short throw on.
[post=496698]Quoted post[/post]​

thats just crap talk, it doesn't affect the tranny one way or another. it reduces the throw of the shifter, but the shift linkage still moves the same amount. dont worry about it, put one on already!!!

Originally posted by micah@May 9 2005, 03:02 AM
shifting faster.
[post=496855]Quoted post[/post]​

that right there is wher the problem is
the reduced "throw" is not an issue at all
its the fact that people try to slam into the next gear too quickly
this puts added stress on the synchros causing them to wear out faster
and im sure we all know what happens when your synchros shit out on you

so short shifters by themselves are not the problem its the fucking moron that doesnt know how to shift properly trying to mash through the fucking gears that causes everything to get all fucked up

:withstupid:

i agree,

when shifting, the shifter will enter the gear at the time it alows, have you ever driven a new car (nicely) and the shifter goes from gear(1st) into neutral, then pauses for a sec and then shifts to (2nd). thats the synchros working,

one, if you force it, it will only take longer to go in, two, thats how you break shifters. three, thats how you jack up your tranny, so in conclusion, a short shifter doesn't put the stress on the tranny, its the driver not knowing how to shift efficiently. now to those who broke shifters(i am in the same boat), don't get me wrong, not saying your a moron or anything, just saying sometimes the synchros go out, and that can be the cause of your shifter breaking. i broke mine drag racing a 12 sec 64' volk bug. anyways. a short throw shifter is a great mod for your car. i am very happy with my race B&M pro edge shifter. imo, the best shifter to buy!!!

Back