Should I buy an 86' Corolla?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

djyox

Its a 1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S DOHC with a stick. I don't know much about them so I figured you guys could tell me something about it....it would be $800 the body is kinda rusted out, but I should be able to fix that myself...if not I can always take it to a shop. and it would be the perfect winter car for me....Ok you "know everything about every car people"( :worthy: ) tell me if its a good deal? sorry no pics....and also tell me some about the car...is it a TRUE AE86 (maybe not true, but as close as you can get in the USDM)? my buddy says it is, I believe him, just want to hear it from as meny people as possable. does it have LSD?

I'm pretty sure it's the real thing if it's a GT-S. I believe the rest of the Corollas were front wheel drive.

its a GT-S and its RWD....Sweet, I think I want it, Not as a drifter though, grip baby, I'm 100% for the grip, drift just looks cool...

Ask Airjockie... he's building a hachi roku. It sounds like a deal to me.

you should throw an F20C in that baby :)

It's a good 'beater car', but winter car??? RWD???

<---is scared because he's never driven a RWD car in the snow.

That'd be my own reservation about gettin it for a winter car.

they are fine as long as u have enough weight in the back, or a good set of snowies. also get a 4agze

wouldn't more weight in the back cause it to fishtail slightly easier under hard braking? Or maybe I just have my physics completely backwards...

more weight in the front would be worse...I think. <_<

u want more in back, so the tires can grip up hills. to much in front will make it plough and without abs the tires to lock up. and since like 75% of the breaking is through the front tires, u = fucked if ur going downhill and ur tires lock. but in theory, u will have more mass pushing downward over a longer distance meaning more potential kinetic energy if u were to slide. so if ur sliding more weight in front= better, if ur not slidding more weight in back = better.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 9 2003, 05:05 AM
snow + rwd = fun as shit.

if your skurd, stay home pansey.

Or..... I could just continue to drive my FWD car, which I have yet to fishtail like I've seen so many fucknuts in the Mustangs and Camaros do with snow on the ground.

I'm sure it's fun, unless you don't MEAN to put your ass end in front of you goin down the road.

WOW thats a steal~! usually even a beat up one costs around 2000-3000 now adays... and its hachiroku, no space.. it means 86 in japanese..it has about 112hp which isnt much but it weighs only 2100lbs and it has a factory LSD with a 53/47 weight distribution.. theres also a ton of aftermarket parts for it, mainly suspenions because its a good drift car.. its a 4age same motor as the NA 85-89 MR2s and the most common swap is the 4agze which is a supercharged version found in the 86-89 MR2s.. just some info..

ya man, its a sweet deal. if i could sell my CRX and afford an ae86 and a 4agze i would in a second! but they are so damn hard to find under 5000 here its worthless.

you got a point on the 86......it is and is not hatchi-ju-roku.....

But even in Japan, and in America...we all just call it the hatchiroku.....you might have learned Japanese in School, but most people who don't use it...in the real world...will still sound like idiots when actually try talking Japanese....just like going up to a Japanese buddy and saying "WaTaShi Wa To AnaTaWa Cohii Numiniku?" insted of "naa....cohi numiniku?" (want to go get a coffee)

It just sounds so text book that they will just step back and laugh their head off....

There are times to use proper Japanese, and times to use just slang Japanese....

Just like sticking a Yale Professor in the Ghetto.....he will stand out of place....and will stick out like a sore thumb......

and I laughed so hard at a guys face when he tryed to convince ME that Mugen is pronounced "muu--hen" :p

Back