Since we're discussing Mercedes...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
I've got a friend that has a 1983 240D. He bought the car, drove it for a while, rear LCA had the shock shoot out the bottom, replaced the rotted out one, got it back on the road for about 2 weeks, and the alternator stopped charging the battery. The voltage light will come on, and it will start to lose lights, and electronics. Radio mysteriously stopped working all together, and he says its a new battery. Still sounds to me like the battery is bad, he thinks its something in the electrical. Some connection in the dash or some shit. He's had the alternator bench tested twice and its been good both times. And it reads 14+ volts every time I've tested it on the car.

There are a few finnickey things about those alternators, passing a test doesn't mean they're good.

I've got an M5 engine I'm trying to get thrown together for this weekend, and then I'll get back on here and go into detail. Hold tight.

Thread jack in progress:

Speaking of M5, specifically the E60. Wil, what are your thoughts on them? I know VANOS line and SMG pumps on early 06's had recalls. Other than that, anything to look out for? They are pretty cheap now and I'm considering one.

The recall for the VANOS was for the oil pressure line leaking, not really anything caused by the VANOS, or anything other than a poorly designed oil line. It also only affected cars produced up until late November '05. The big problem with the VANOS is people not changing the oil regularly, or using the wrong oil. You HAVE to use Castrol 10W60, period. Period, period, period. Some people use LiquiMoly, I personally am not a fan, as I've torn down engines using LM, and the wear is noticeably different (read: worse). Castrol 10W60 isn't cheap, either. BUT, it's a lot cheaper than a motor, or replacing VANOS units.

As far as the SMG issues, I haven't seen a whole lot of them on M5's. Most of the issues I've seen firsthand have been on the older E46 M3's. I have heard of issues with the E60's, and of customers having hydraulics, gearbox, clutch and flywheel replaced MULTIPLE times...but I haven't experienced it firsthand. I know that Jerry at Eurocharged holds a few Texas Mile records with his, and as long as I've known him I haven't seen it have any issues. I haven't talked to him in a few months, so it's possible that he's developed an issue since - but he uses his car as a test platform for Eurocharged's tunes and products, and beats the ever-loving shit out of it, and AFAIK hasn't had an issue.

I'm personally not a big BMW fan, they just don't have the reliability of Mercedes or Porsche, and repair cost on BMW's tends to be a lot more expensive. The common things that fail on Mercedes are valve cover gaskets and rear main seals, for the most part (exception of the balance shaft issue on the 272); stuff that commonly fails on BMW's are high pressure fuel pumps (e90), the entire K-can system (anything with the RDC module in the trunk), valve cover studs breaking off on their own (anything with an N52), etc...all expensive stuff. It's fairly common knowledge among the techs that I know/associate with, that if you're going to buy a BMW you should either buy new with a top-notch extended warranty, lease it and get rid of it when the warranty is up, or not buy one. Even if you're a tech, or mechanically inclined, the parts themselves that commonly fail are SO expensive that being able to install it yourself doesn't make a difference (especially since you won't be able to program or configure anything yourself).

NOW, in reference to the charging issue...There should be a blue wire going to the alternator. Check with the engine running that you've got 12v going to that wire.

Check the battery, see what static voltage is when sitting and check the CCA available. Also make sure the belt is tight on the alternator, and that the pulley isn't worn out/gouged out. I've seen that a few times, as well. The other thing to check is to make sure the connections on the back of the alternator are good and clean and tight. I believe there are two large red wires and the blue wire, but it's been a while so I'm not certain. Pop that plug off and check them, and make sure the connectors in the plug are snug and not loose.

I chased a similar problem for a few weeks on my 300d, and it ended up being the alternator. The problem with bench testing is they just spin it up super fast and see if it's got voltage - this may mean that it's charging at higher RPM, but not at lower RPM. Test voltage with a multimeter with loads both on and off (high beams, A/C compressor) through the RPM range in 500rpm increments, and report back.

Thanks Wil, appreciate your input. It does appear that everyone is dumping these M5's just before the warranty is expiring. But damn the price and car is just so attractive.. I tend to stay away from Mercedes because of my experience with my ML which is probably the worst car to base that experience from.. Love the Benz E63's, what do you think of their automatic transmissions? I really liked the idea of an automated manual instead..

The AMG Speedshift MCT 7 speed is a fucking BEAST. Paddle shifters that change gears in 100 milliseconds, automatic rev-matched downshifts, launch control...I like 'em.

Mercedes transmissions have always been pretty hardcore, I've only had a handful of them apart for repairs. The 722.6 transmission (older Mercedes automatic) is also used in the Porsche 911's, we used to take them and machine the drums and add an extra clutch plate and fiber, and I've seen them hold upwards of 1200hp to the wheels with only that modification done. The newer 722.9's are just as great as well, and have eliminated some of the minute problems that the 722.6's experienced (which were, for the most part, just leaks).

Jesus, you really know these well.

At what year did they introduce the AMG Speedshift MCT?

I think they came out with it in 07, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Since I don't work at a dealer, it's usually a year or so after they're released before I get one to tear into.

However, the upcoming 5.5 biturbo AMG's are going to be naaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty.

And yup, I know a good bit about 'em...I have to, otherwise people wouldn't bring me cars to work on that cost more than my house. I've come a long way from burning B16's to the ground :D

Yes, 5.5 biturbo sounds like a nice idea. God the sound of that 6.3 is just so sweet though!

Soooo. Back at this again. Wil, would you happen to be able to give any insight into why this thing is acting up? Again, it's the 240D. Its lost all of it's power. I know it's top speed is usually 84 and it takes a week to get there, but like, top speed is 20 now. On level ground. Changed the fuel pump and it's still doing it. It's not getting any blow by, and when you prime it a number of times, it runs great, till you get it to 25, then it falls on it's face again. I'm thinking maybe injector pump? But I don't know these vehicles that well.

The two most common things that'll cause poor acceleration on those old diesels are the fuel filters -make sure you replaced both of those- and the throttle linkage, The linkage is all kinds of fuckin' crazy, and there are a few bushings that can wear out and cause slack in the throttle (as in, an inch or more of pedal movement) and keep the throttle from opening fully - have someone sit inside the car and slowly depress the accelerator pedal, and watch the linkage under the hood and see how much the linkage (and/or pedal) has to move before the throttle starts opening, and once the pedal is bottomed out reach over with your hand and see how much further you can open the throttle. It could be just a worn out bushing keeping the throttle from being able to go wide open.

Also, remove and inspect EGR valve, sometimes those build up a buncha carbon/soot and start sticking open. Use a manual vacuum tester, like a MityVac from a brake bleeding kit - the valve should be fully open with approximately 6"/20kpa vacuum. Inspect in intake manifold around EGR valve for excessive carbon accumulation. It will need to be cleaned out if present, which may involve intake manifold removal. Additionally, go over all of the vacuum lines and make sure vacuum lines are in good condition. The vacuum pump should produce at least 18"/61kpa vacuum at idle on the main hose to brake vacuum booster.

It's possible it's a problem with the IP, but those are expensive - cross your fingers it's something else, haha

Last edited:
Didn't see this thread the first time around. I actually almost had one of these as my first car.

mercedes-benz-240d-03.jpg

Looked just like that. Except with a real sheepskin cover on the driver seat, haha.

Also, its not really poor acceleration, its more, no power. It'll get up to speed, but that's 20. On level ground. If he hits a hill at that speed he drops to 5, and quick.

Its been fixed. My friend in the Navy is on leave and got to work on it. He was very insistent on the egr valve not making any sense... So... It was a Christmas miracle! Happy Christmas, everybody.

EGR valve. Except the mechanic on hand is referring to it as either the thermostat or a christmas miracle, because he insisted so hard on it not being the egr.

Back