Slight knocking, tapping at idle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vic44

My 91 civic has 150,000 miles on her and when it idles you can hear a slight tapping, doesn't sound like valve noise and the engine runs fantastic, doesn't burn oil and has plenty of pull, it disappears when you rev the engine. I was told it might be noisy injectors? It seems to disappear for a while after a good run on the freeway.

Any body else have this problem?

Thanks
Vic.

I have heard of injectors ticking don't know how to fix it though, are you absolutely sure it's not the valve lash the motor has 150,000 on it, it's probably time to set the valve lash anyway so I would check into that also

You can have the injectors cleaned at most shops for about $40-60, and valve lash adjustment is easy if you have feeler gauges, a screwdriver and a socket set that you can feed a screwdriver through- like Gear Wrench.

its ur valves or injectors.....i would adjust ur valves.....then take ur fuel rail off(remember to relive the fuel pressure) then take ur injectors out n spray em with brake cleaner or parts cleaner.....should be all set....my boys zc rex was doin that n he did the above.....no more noise!!!!

Thanks everyone for the tips greatly appreciated. Is adjusting the valves a DIY or should i bring it to my mechanic. Don't want to screw with something and then break it.

Thanks.:worthy:

Vic.

It's definitely a DIY if you're familiar with how to use feeler gauges. If you're not comfortable doing it, or if you don't have the tools already, the going price I've seen vary between $40-80 for a valve adjustment. It's really up to you. I do mine myself.

Quoted post[/post]]
It's definitely a DIY if you're familiar with how to use feeler gauges. If you're not comfortable doing it, or if you don't have the tools already, the going price I've seen vary between $40-80 for a valve adjustment. It's really up to you. I do mine myself.

:werd: Pretty easy to do, check out this link. http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/valvead...valveadjust.php
Its for a B-series which DOHC but so you get the idea.

Good to see you around now Calesta, thought you died or something :ph34r:

Back