Snagged another car today....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

a guy i work with in VA has a 99 with 230k on it... still running strong... He keeps saying he wants to go buy a brand new one... But refuses to do it until SOMETHING breaks on his current 4 runner... He says nothing breaks though... he changes the fluids @ correct Intervals & thats it...

When I was talking to one of the Toyota sales guys, they had said something about the newer Toyota parts were supposed to be guaranteed for life or something? I don't know the validity of it, but he said that they started making the parts from better materials and a different company...But even the old ones have been more or less bulletproof.

Wasn't there a video that was posted on here before with the Toyota pickup truck that was put through hell and still survived?

Toyota's are bulletproof.

My uncle just recently upgraded from his purchased from new 1990 tacoma. It had 370k on it, on the 2nd motor. There was nothing wrong with it at all. Original drivetrain besides the engine which was replaced at 250k as he wanted more power as his prveious 4cyl was burning out. It was on its second radiator, 2nd clutch, 3rd set of brakes, and the 4th of set of tires. My uncle, being the stoner he is, backed it up into about a 20 different things but otherwise it was a beast. He upgraded to a 2007 toyota tacoma, same style extended cab, manual, etc and plans on it doing the same amount of mileage. He commutes about 180 miles a day, and works construction.

My dad had a brand new 1985, the best year ever made,straight axle, extended cab, toyota pick up with a 22r. I'm talking bullet proof. He sold it in 2002 with 240k on it with everything original besides the clutch, brakes, and tires. Another uncle of mine still drives it. Only thing that ever went wrong it was when a guy dropped an entire pallet of shingles on the front end.

I personally am finally coming around and realizing that the payment I'm making on my scion is still leaving me looking for a toyota the minute I go to work, have to haul something, wanna get to the pass or go somewhere in a storm, or haul my quads. Infact before I read you were looking for a 'yota, I had craigslist open to toyota tacoma's, 05's to be exact :)

The 3.0l V6 Toyota engine is absolute trash, but other than that they're very good vehicles and are pretty much bulletproof.

Toyota's are bulletproof.

My dad had a brand new 1985, the best year ever made,straight axle, extended cab, toyota pick up with a 22r. I'm talking bullet proof. He sold it in 2002 with 240k on it with everything original besides the clutch, brakes, and tires. Another uncle of mine still drives it. Only thing that ever went wrong it was when a guy dropped an entire pallet of shingles on the front end.

Let me guess that 85 rusted out at some point. When I was younger I always had wanted an older yota truck but they were all rusted.

Let me guess that 85 rusted out at some point. When I was younger I always had wanted an older yota truck but they were all rusted.

My uncle has gone through 2 or 3 beds on his toyota pickup, I forget the year but its mid to late 80's back when they were just calling the toyota trucks pickups. He also has gone through plenty of body filler, as well.

He's also gone through 1 or 2 engine rebuilds and has a v8 from a police interceptor waiting to go into the truck. I think his problems were mainly from headgaskets. I wonder how many miles is on that truck now, we joke that its almost a classic.

We joke that we're going to bury him in the truck, but he just refuses to get another.

Actually it doesn't. My uncle still has it,and its in pretty good condition. He drives it all over the country side and now has a canopy on it. It was my dad's work truck for well 17 years, and besides the bed being pretty dented up, it wasn't bad. He always had a sheet of treated plywood in it so he didn't scrape the bed when dragging compressors/saws in and out.

I thought that there was something with the sheet metal toyota used in that era that caused rust.

Look at my post.

With my family's experience, it did. The car has been virtually eaten alive multiple times.

I wasnt really talking to you. It was a general statement to see if anyone else has heard that they used shitty metal.

Back