So I just got a ticket...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout said:
In New Jersey there's a $250 surcharge for any violation involving points thats plead down, plus the original fine, plus court costs.

It pays off in the end, because its cheaper than if your insurance company found out, but it cost me $411 for a careless driving ticket, that was in reality a 15mph over speeding ticket that was written down on the spot and then plead down in court.
Yea I hate that "surcharge" shit. Luckily I know people and have never had to pay one, but I want a cop/DA/judge to tell me how that isn't a flat out bribe. It's the government extorting money. I meant they don't have to do as much when you plea it down, so why does it cost more?

Sorry. kind of turned into an angry rant.

send the ticket in "Not Guilty"

im guessing that its a pretty small ticket for "6 over"
most likely it will be thrown out before it is even transfered to the court
if it does get transfered to the court you will recieve a notice of that... there is still a chance that it will be thrown out by the court
otherwise you will recieve a court date
show up at the court date dressed well and acting respectably
plead not guilty to the DA and hope for the best... again because this is a small petty ass ticket it will likely be thrown out
if you do end up having to pay it it will almost always be a lower amount than the ticket was for
worst case you will have to pay it... but its always best to go down fighting

Back