So what's hot with cell phones these days?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

I've seen a few people buying new phones, and I'm thinking about upgrading myself. Anyone been keeping up on what's hot?

All you folks (brian and E) who are just gonna post "cell phones with extra features are ghey", save us all the time.

I like the design of the Razr but it seems a little limited features-wise. Has Nokia been ramping up their line at all?

lol- E has a camera phone. he sold out.

IMO, a phone is a phone.

if you want a PDA, buy a freakin pda...

My dad just got the razr, and I'm on the "not impressed" team. Yeah, its a sex case, but it's the usual motorola horseshit OS. Bunch of silly games that they want you to pay for.

Who pays for Bejewelled?

For a phone, check out any phone across the globe that runs the service here in the states that you are interested in. Find your service (CDMA, TDMA, GPRS, PCS) and then go to the websites of those offering phones in those form factors. I found my Siemens S40 that way and I was totally floored by that phone (Even though it crashed like Windows ME was loaded on it).

And then don't balk at the prices. Chances are what you want is not offered in the low-price range and if you want to be satisfied, you'll pay full prices.

At least that's my case.

ive got an LG 225

b3_1.JPG

Also, that multimedia thing that is offered is BULLSHIT. Vcast or whatever. "See clips from Zathura" I would rather dig my eyes out of their sockets with a dead dog's paw. The news on it is neat, but it's expensive, fluffy and useless.

I say remain cheap because we're about to be in the first global roll-out of a generational change in Cell phones - Where we get stuff at the same time as Japan. Things like Video phone in your pocket and 1600 minutes included in the plan. So keep it cheap for now and then prepare for the next generation.

-> Steve

Quoted post[/post]]
dont know what carrier you got but Verizon has "The V" it seems pretty tight

Forgot to mention, I'm on a local provider for AT&T (Cingular). Don't you have to worry about frequencies?

Quoted post[/post]]
Also, that multimedia thing that is offered is BULLSHIT. Vcast or whatever. "See clips from Zathura" I would rather dig my eyes out of their sockets with a dead dog's paw. The news on it is neat, but it's expensive, fluffy and useless.

I say remain cheap because we're about to be in the first global roll-out of a generational change in Cell phones - Where we get stuff at the same time as Japan. Things like Video phone in your pocket and 1600 minutes included in the plan. So keep it cheap for now and then prepare for the next generation.

-> Steve

I don't really want to spend more than about 300 bucks right now. Even if there is a massive global rollout I probably won't get on the bandwagon immediately. I hardly use my phone as a phone anyway, I use it more for the unified device features.

I have a Moto V555 right now. It's good - just not really what I want it to be.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
dont know what carrier you got but Verizon has "The V" it seems pretty tight

Forgot to mention, I'm on a local provider for AT&T (Cingular). Don't you have to worry about frequencies?

Nope, the FCC has set aside a series of frequencies for carriers and trademarked technology (PCS, for instance) and instead of frequency carrying, you're bandwidth sharing.

Cingular isn't local, by the way.

Do I really have to explain this?

Back when AT&T Wireless was AT&T Wireless (before the Cingular buyout/merger), they used to sell out areas to providers. The only way to get AT&T (Cingular) in my area is to go through Edge Wireless or one of their authorized dealers. They're basically a reseller for AT&T (Cingular). They offer a very limited selection of phones that you can get with a contract (for instance, they just started offering the Razr about a month ago), but they say that if you buy a compatible phone elsewhere they can set it up for you.

And what I mean is, I see these "dual band" and "tri-band" phones, etc.

So they are GSM 800/900/1800 then ?

Not a problem, this is the most common kind of phone. Spook people out with a DoCoMo branded Sony Erickson

if i was still on cingular i would probably be running the Nokia 6102
it has features i like, and it doesnt have blutooth :thumbsup:

i currently have the nextel i850 and i love it
it has good batery life
it has a very nice screen
its size and weight are comfortable
the camera is quite useful regardless of what brian says... the picture quality isnt bad, no it doesnt take as good of pictures as my digital camera, but i also dont carry my digital camera with me everywhere... i do wish it had a flash on the camera though
it has tons of features, GPS, TV, games, etc and you can download tons more stuff if you want to

when it comes to cameras, the service is more important than the hardware. I have found the camera to be useful often - but sending it costs money and is complicated as hell.

Fuck sending pics over the cell network - I just download the pictures I take to my PC.

Been looking at the 6102. Looks like a real nice phone. I'd like to get one with bluetooth though. I know, I know, bluetooth is unsecure as shit. I haven't had a problem yet.

I have "the 'V phone'" from Verizon, and it's really a great phone if ur really into txt messaging. The features are great, mp3 and all that, but the camera is a little bit clumsy, if your buying it for the camera, I'd bet there's better choices out there...but if you don't care about the camera like i don't, it's VX9800 FTW

Back