Spark Plugs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Well I've been using NGK platnium plugs for a while now and took them out to inspect the plugs see how the motors been running. and I had a new set of NGK Copper and desided to install those instead. man what a difference, the engine idles better smoother accelleration and at $1.89 a plug I'm sold even if I have to change them more often. I'm done with platnium plugs fookin overpriced garbage (except they do last longer)

the life of the plug is the only advantage platinums have ... copper is a far better conductor so it provides more power and better opperation
platinum just lets beople feel all bling bling ;)

arent the platinum better for high hp and highly boosted engines cause dont the copper ones melt or something, i could be wrong but i thought i heard that one somewhere

I highly doubt the copper plugs melt.
but when your using Nitrous you usually use a colder plug,
colder as in heat range to prevent detonation.

i think the copper plugs can melt...but they are better than platinum. i think they should start making gold plugs.

haha. i just saw this topic about an hour after i got done testing some bosch platinum plugs on my crx. i saw a dyno comparison at www.importreview.com where they got a 1-2whp increase with Bosch platinums over NGK V-series (copper) plugs. so i picked up a brand new set of bosch platinums, gapped them to factory spec, put them in and test drove them. i immediately noticed a decrease in responsiveness and power! i quickly replaced them with my old NGK v-series plugs that have about 10-12,000 miles on them, and instantly felt that the old power was back. its a pretty big difference. i also noticed that at idle my car seems to growl with the ngk's (i have a modified exhaust).

cliff notes: NGK V-series (copper) ownz Bosch Platinums ....and www.importreview.com's dyno test must be flawed.

I used platinums for awhile since they're factory spec for a Prelude. They gave me shite performance, so I switched out to NGK V-power's. I'll be trying some colder NGK's here in a few weeks, and I can give a little report on those.

the denso irridium (however the hell you spell it) ones i've heard to be the best never used copper ones i have plain old ngks in mine right now the downside to the irr.. you know there damn expensive i went to honda and the want like 30.00 a plug i was like whoa can i get those on lay away or some shit ;)

Originally posted by K2e2vin+-->
K2e2vin) said:
i think the copper plugs can melt...but they are better than platinum. i think they should start making gold plugs.

Gold is actually a pretty poor conductor. it's widely used because of it's great resistance to corrosion and oxidation

Originally posted by 97civic@
the denso irridium

I'd have to see some actually real world reults or try a set out myself. irridium is right next to platinum on the periodic table which means it that it's properties are very close to platinum. maybe a few more valence electrons in it's outter shell so they might be slightly better than platinum plugs and they will have the same longevity. but I doubt they will out perform your standard plug (standard being copper)

97civic

never used copper ones i have plain old ngks in mine right now

Then yes you have, 99% of standard plugs use a copper core

Now a plug that would kick hella ass but would corrode like a mofo would be silver, silver is the #1 condutor of electricity. It oxidizes very quickly which is why it's not used except in controlled environments.

Hey man i agree w/them I used bosch platinum and got shit mileage out of them not even 200mpg then i put in the NGK V-power and there it was! All my old power. So if it was me I'd stick w/stock....however i've never tried irridium, bu for the price it isn't worth it either $30 a plug my ass!

Platinum plugs are for german cars and V-8's.

I just looked at the Dyno chart and for a whole

Horsepower: 3 fwhp (peak), 5-6 fwhp (througout entire RPM range)*
Torque: 7 lb-ft (peak), 5-7 lb-ft (throughout entire RPM range)*

I think spending $120 on plugs is useless. compaired to $7.56 for Copper.
not a big enough gain to spend that kinda cash.

I used bosch platinum and got shit mileage out of them not even 200mpg

I wish I got 200MPG.
I think you mean 200 miles per full tank of gas. or 20mpg

with the copper my gas milage has increased back up to about 35mpg

Maybe a little out of topic...anyways..
what spark plugs wires do you guys use? what is the best wires?

CRX YEM you seem to know your spark plugs very well . . . i myself have tried many different types of plugs

bosch platniums - run strong for a week or two and start to foul
bosch plus 4s - same results
champion - only work good in 70s dodge products :huh:
NGK platiniums - ok no difference noticed except a sputtering idle

NGK coppers . . . for hondas are number 1 in my opinion hands down ( :worthy: )

and about copper plugs melting. . . if they melt in your engine, you have some major tuning issues. . . i used copper plugs 2 heat ranges lower while using my ZEX kit (thats what is recommended by ZEX) and had no probs

Originally posted by acurabdby@May 14 2003, 01:20 PM
$30 a plug my ass!

Yeah, I believe they are 10 dollars a plug not 30 for denso irridium's but I could be mistaken. But seriously for a 7 ft lb gain 40 bucks would be well worth it in my book. Nopi has them and I am kind of wondering about the ngk iridium's and how they match up to the good idle and stock form of the v powers.

Back