1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strong exhaust smell

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by jdmh22hatch, Mar 13, 2006.

1. jdmh22hatch

jdmh22hatch Member

Just like the title says, I've got a strong exhaust smell accompanied by a bog a low rpm. When I research I get some conficting answers on what a strong exhaust smell is. Am I running rich, or lean???? I'm assuming if I'm lean I'm not getting enough fuel, and if I'm rich then I'm possibly choking some. Plugs are too new yet and really don't show any answers one way or the other. The best I was able to figure was that there was some dry whitish deposits on them, which would indicate a weak ignition system. But I've changed every part of my ignition system now, and still have the same problem. Ignition timing is always bang on, and I'm not throwing any cel's. So, after a lot of babbling, my actual question is if anyone here knows whether that strong exhaust smell would indicate rich or lean conditions. It seems to be getting worse. BTW, I am burning some oil too, if that makes any difference. Also getting some black smoke out of the exhaust, but usually at high rpm, which is normal for an h22, but very little if any at low rpm where I am smelling the strongest exhaust smell.

2. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

you're running rich..

3. jdmh22hatch

jdmh22hatch Member

Thanks for clarifying that. Just what I needed. Learn something new everyday on here :mrgreen:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted