Subaru: to buy or not to buy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kanned

Beast
I am posting this here for some immediate responses because I'm going to look at this car in less than 2 hours.

Despite common practice of buying a used vehicle, do any subby fans out there know of an issue specific to an older Subaru I need to keep an eye out for?

1995 SUBARU LEGACY Station Wagon. Automatic with All Wheel Drive. Air Conditioned, power windows, moon roof, AM/FM radio. Runs great. Body in wonderful shape. 120,000 miles. Original owner. Has been serviced regularly.
3md3ob3l15Y45V55W2b2979ddbe0f48c11121.jpg
3n13mb3l85T65Q35P0b292d7450d75ac0109f.jpg

He is a snowbird, wealthy, and retired gentleman who seems quite nice. I asked if the timing belt and/or water pump has been replaced, but he doesn't know.

The description/pictures are from the for sale posting of the car.

I'm asking if there is a mechanical issue that is famous among older subaru that I should look for when overlooking the car.

No, I won't be paying much for it. I just need something reliable to drive while selling the rest of my vehicles.

My parents had a 91 Legacy and it was a pos. We had a lot of transmissions problems, clutch problems and brake problems from the get go. I hated driving that car so much that I still dislike any Subaru. You're 22 why do you want an ugly wagon?

I loved my 95, and it was just a FWD leggy. no sunroof or anything fancy...it was a fun car .

Oh, didn't see the dollar signs at first, Airjockie.

I am presumed to pay about $1,500

I have a friend who has one of these for a winter beater. He lets me beat the fuck out of it. I mean I beat the FUCK out of it. It never complains. Fun as hell to drive. I can't spin it out.

That's what I like to hear, I'm leaving to look at it now. Hopefully it is a diamond, turbo.

I just need something reliable as a DD for work/school so I can sell my hondas. Plan is to combine my current DD and motorcycle value and buy a newer car. I don't mind ugly ass cars, long as they get me where I need to be. I'll pickup bitches in a wagon :)

in for the response of whether you get it or not.

i'd say go for it. but im biased.
just wait til taco sees this thread. lol.

you cant beat a subaru, especially awd, if you get it, expect to change the timing belt and the head gaskets. its really not all that expensive either.

put some good tires on there and take it out on the sand.

I spend a good hour each time drifting it. A lot of WOT. Never misses a beat. I'm especially surprised how nice the tranny shifts too. I'd prefer a 5 speed, but it's not even mine :lol:

Bought it. It purrs and the only drop of oil on the motor is right under the fill cap. Not perfect, but well worth what I paid.

Power steering is so-so compared to my honda, I sincerely wish it were manual, and the sun roof has signs of minimal leakage. I took a hose to it and it didn't leak, so it's not bad. I'll probably put some clear caulk on it and never open it. Interior smells fine and is in pretty good shape. All in all seems like an awesome little car. Hope I get at least 20 mpg.

Last edited:
My buddy has a 94 legacy wagon with awd and the 2.2l. He has 270k on it. Runs like a fucking top. Won't die. No smoke either. The car kind of shimmy's above 80, but that's it.

the 2.5's are notorious for head gasket failure as well.

do a compression test, but if there isnt any oil under the block you'll probably be ok

Has plenty of power, I don't see any reason to doubt full compression. Just had it on CC at 80mph on the highway for 2 hours to visit family and she loved it. Everything works great on this car, and it's sad how fond I am of it lol. Plan is to put my ek and cbr up for sale next weekend if the subaru continues to prove itself reliable.

Lol, I will this weekend when I have some time to give her a bath.

awesome find man! only thing I would recommend would be a timing belt change.
other than that drive the piss out of it.

I see 150+Subaru's all the time and still going on strong.

congrats on the deal. :)

Back