suspension setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90sihatch

I saw a suspension setup for my car(90 hatch) that I am curious about. Tokico struts with H&R sport springs in the front and coilover springs in the back. The part I am most worried about is the ride quality, becuase wouldn't it be kind of messed up to be stiffer in the back than in the front? The car is my daily driver so I don't want it to be too harsh, but the body roll is ridiculous.

Quoted post[/post]]
Well I want to get struts at the same time, but it's so much money

You can do it in stages.. springs first.. then later on struts..

I just did Neuspeed sports over KYB AGX's.. I like it fine so-far. Stock or better ride, and better handling (I've only done the front so far though)

And I have them set on "1" the softest setting.. Haven't even played with any of the other settings, and won't until I get all four corners done.

I was thinking H&R sport springs on Tokico stuts, but those tokico strut and spring combo looks like a pretty good deal.

Spend the extra and go with the H&Rs. I know with the Z car package the tokicos are progressive fronts and linear rears.

Would the H&Rs ride really rough with the stock struts if I do that for a while and save for struts? And also what about the eibach pro kit? sounds nice with the progressive springs or whatever

the first time it's time consuming, every other time takes like half an hour for all four tho.

yea, i think doing it in steps is stupid, imo. that means the car is down 2 times and apart 2 times. for me, that isnt a good idea.

also... i have h&r's on my integra and it honestly is too bouncy... for me. rides nice and smooth until you hit a bump.

i would suggest the tokico white kit. it comes with the springs and struts, you will only need the top hats from your oe shocks/struts.

so... oh, to clearify i have tokico blues w/h&r race (they are red).

Quoted post[/post]]
yea, i think doing it in steps is stupid, imo. that means the car is down 2 times and apart 2 times. for me, that isnt a good idea.

also... i have h&r's on my integra and it honestly is too bouncy... for me. rides nice and smooth until you hit a bump.

i would suggest the tokico white kit. it comes with the springs and struts, you will only need the top hats from your oe shocks/struts.

if your ride is bouncy, then your shocks aren't stiff enough, or your spring rates are too much for the shocks. either way you want to put it, it means basically the same thing.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

if your ride is bouncy, then your shocks aren't stiff enough, or your spring rates are too much for the shocks. either way you want to put it, it means basically the same thing.

which is essentially a different language to me.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

which is essentially a different language to me.

okay, if your ride is "bouncy," it means your shocks/struts are not stiff/hard enough to dampen(slow down and eventually stop) the bound(spring compression, like if you tried to squeeze the spring together with your hands) and rebound(spring decompression, like when the spring goes back out to original length) cycles.

when you hit a bump in your car, the spring gets shorter(bound), then immediately wants to get longer(rebound). ideally, the spring wants to move back to its original dimensions, only problem is, on the rebound, it goes past original length, so it has to come back down.

Try to imagine this-
normal spring=<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">~</span>
you hit a bump, this happens-
<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">~</span><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">~</span><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">~</span><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">~</span><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">~</span><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">~</span>

i hope this helps some. i tried to make it clear, but i do better when i can draw pictures to show people and stuff like that.

p.s.- the word "size" looks really weird when you type it 14 times

EDIT* the " ~ " demonstration didn't come out as good as i wanted it too... AND, oh yeah, properly matched shocks or struts will stop the springs from contracting up and down repeatedly(bounciness)

You have race springs on a car with shocks that are designed for OE replacement application? And you wonder why it bounces? Buy some Koni Yellows and slap yourself.

Currently rolling on Neuspeed sports and KYB agx's in my EG.. Nice ride. Stiffer than stock but still a good ride. WAY WAY less body roll, and I don't have the rear sway installed yet. (agx's still on "1" at all four corners.. I'm going to have to find a parking lot and experiment some)

I can't wait to get my motor swapped/modded/whatever the hell I'm going to do with it.. As of right now it handles fucking great.

Since everyone is chiming in about their setups:

KYB AGX 4-way adjustable shocks with
Ground Control Coilovers

Its a pretty nice setup. Even on the hardest setting it bounces a bit on the highway...but the handling is awsome; a night and day difference from stock. I highly reccomend this setup to anyone out there looking for sub $500 suspension.

Quoted post[/post]]
You have race springs on a car with shocks that are designed for OE replacement application? And you wonder why it bounces? Buy some Koni Yellows and slap yourself.

who has stock shocks, i was the only one saying anything about bounciness, and I have tokico blues.

Yeah...Tokico Blues are stock OE replacements. They have a little more dampening, but only like 15% more, nothing like a true sports/race shock.

Back