Swap into 97 EX coupe...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Black98Beast

I've got a 97 EX coupe and I have decided that I want to go all motor, with the biggest/most powerful stock motor that I can fit in my car. I'm not all that gung-ho on turbo or anything, so this is what I want.

I think that I am looking for an H22a out of a 92-96 Prelude w/ VTEC, which is rated something like 200hp, 160tq. Is this what I should be looking for? Will this fit just fine w/out modification to the body? Or is there another engine out there that I should be looking for?

My goals for the car are daily reliability, good gas mileage, and long term life. I basically will be rebuilding whatever engine I get back to good as new stock and dropping it in my car. I would think that it will still be a quick ride while maintaing stock reliability and running strong on 87. Am I correct in all this?

What all else would I need along with the engine to complete the swap?
I am planning on putting a new clutch/flywheel in as well and contemplating an LSD such as a Quaife. Do these hurt gas mileage/daily commuting? Are the worth it?

Also, I need to keep my AC and power steering, so nothing will be sacrificed in this swap.
Sorry my post is so long, just trying to get as much answered all at once.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Matt

1)if y want to go all motor you will have to raise the compression and then run superior octane gaz to avoid detonation.

2)H22 is not a bolt on swap (you have to cut holes in the the car)
and you cannot retain AC whit this swap
i recomend any B18,B20 (i don't like the B16A: almost the same torque as a D)
so stick whit B series engines they are bolt on swaps

If i go all motor why do i have to change the copmression? I just want it running good, i don't care about mad horsepower.

But thanks, I'll chekc out the b18's, and b20's, what cars would I find these in?

Thanks
Matt

Originally posted by Black98Beast@Sep 15 2004, 12:42 AM
If i go all motor why do i have to change the copmression? I just want it running good, i don't care about mad horsepower.

But thanks, I'll chekc out the b18's, and b20's, what cars would I find these in?

Thanks
Matt
[post=390466]Quoted post[/post]​

the h22 is NOT a good idea from my point of view unless you have some one do it for you and you got like 3500-4500 burning a hole in your pocket
IN PROCESS OF EXACT SWAP ~~~
cutting~ shifter link/cable (havent done yet)
ac true dat just make custom sh*t to fit (not gonna retain for my situation)
wiring is jacked up~ ecu whatever (p-this p-that chip this-arrrhhg)

and im into it like....a month already (days off thing)

btw any link to a walkthrough on this wiring and what ecu would be great (97 civic cx here) and using h22a
so far using the 97 cx harness and adapting 92-95 h22 plugs, the ecu i have heard things but i want a "been done" solution any ideas

sorry to hi jack and yes i tried searching a million times and nothing gets me what i need

look into a k series swap a more expensive but better lighter engines for NA..... and the engines are new so no need to rebuid yet..... if you consider the cost of labor for a complete rebuild it might be better choice depending on your cash flow

ohh, a frankenstine engine is the best choice...if staying with a b series the best combo is a gsr block...knife edged ls crank ls rods....OEM pistons..i.e pr3=high C/R,pr4 =low CR....and either a b16 0r b18c head and your on your way to honda ecstacy...lol

Originally posted by formby@Jan 6 2005, 01:59 PM
ohh, a frankenstine engine is the best choice...if staying with a b series the best combo is a gsr block...knife edged ls crank ls rods....OEM pistons..i.e pr3=high C/R,pr4 =low CR....and either a b16 0r b18c head and your on your way to honda ecstacy...lol
[post=442132]Quoted post[/post]​

I disagree.

Originally posted by formby@Jan 6 2005, 02:43 PM
look into a k series swap a more expensive but better lighter engines for NA..... and the engines are new so no need to rebuid yet..... if you consider the cost of labor for a complete rebuild it might be better choice depending on your cash flow
[post=442126]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, but how much fabrication would be involved in that? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't K-series motors spin in the opposite direction as B, D, H, F motors? I mean I know this can be done, I've seen it done in magazine articles but I doubt that's what he's really looking for, in terms of ease of getting it into his car. Also, not too sure on the A/C and power steering compatibility on a swap like that.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jan 6 2005, 04:30 PM-->
@Jan 6 2005, 01:59 PM
[post=442132]Quoted post[/post]​

I disagree x2
[post=442172]Quoted post[/post]​

Reliablity, Ease of swap, Nice N/A stock HP, Good Gas mileage and 90-91 Pump gas would be a GSR or Type R if you think it's worth it.

A frankie engine could be good and since you're planning on a rebuild you might as well go with a b20/vtec. I've heard they make very decent number after a a stock build (LS Block with a b16 head), about 160-180 to the wheels and like 140-150 ft lbs. A lot of people say they are unreliable, I personally cannot comment on that because I've never built one and/or owned one. I've seen one run and it seemed to be decent and it was fast.

Even a stock Ls/b20 setup could be decent.

get a b18 dart block and build that easily 200 hp na and you will need to run high octane get used to that but thats probubly the best and strongest set up.

Back