Tac in double din radio spot

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

webink_EK9

I was wanting to mount a large tac and shift light in the double din opening where the radio would normaly go. Has anyone ever done this? I could get a trim plate made to go around the housing so il tooks clean. I don't shift really by watching rpm's but an accurate tac would be nice. I don't want it to be on the dash in my line of sight. Let me know what you think.

hmmm,what size tach? i hope not a monster tach.
ive seen gauges in the same spot that your talking about but not a tach.
why not just mold in the shift light so only the end of the light is exposed.
i think that would be cool shit. i plan to mount my boost gauge in my air vent right above my radio,it's just a matter of getting the turbo B)

I don't have a radio in my car. And it wouldn't be a big deal to put the light somewhere else....may be better to stick it somewhere else. What is a good tac?

i would stick with autometer. not auto gauge"also made by autometer" because they are not accurate for shit.they make a good tach i think that is like 3 1/2 but i cant remeber.i got the auto meter 5" tach and i love it.its great. you can also by rmp pills that only activate the shift light .thats why i sed mount only the shift light and use a rpm pill to activate it.it would be bad ass... wish i thought of that earlier.

Yeah, I see what you're sayin'. I'll give that a shot. I should be able to fit the 5" one in that spot. I'll go to the shop and try it out first. They've got a bunch in stock. I'll get photos when I'm done.

yeah, thats a cool idea. I'd mount it somewhere else too. I just need to figure out where to put the tach, or at least how I'm going to get it in there. I've got some ideas though.

Just pull out the old oem tach, and custom mount the new one it is place. Then you don't have to worry about any huge tach getting in your line of site. A 3.5 inch should fit just fine, and you could mount the shift light somewhere not in the way as well. BTW, that was the last thing I noticed about the crx on that link. H22 w/ a b-series tranny is sick!!!

why dont you just get a gauge cluster from an si or type r civic? then you can still add a shift light seperatley.

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic@Jun 29 2004, 10:47 PM
get a nice pivot tach. they are about 3 inches around but they are backlit... pivot= mad tyte jdm yo,ya herd... check it out here.

gay

i second that,they look like the sun pro models....

vtecsir1 Posted on Jun 29 2004, 09:52 PM
why dont you just get a gauge cluster from an si or type r civic? then you can still add a shift light seperatley.

I've got an EX cluster in there now and the tac is off. It shows I can run all the way up to where a 9000 rpm number would be if there was one. Would an SI or better yet a CTR cluster be more accurate? I'd much rather go with something like that. Let me know what you think.

i would just get an external tach with shift light"i space out a lot when racing"it would be easier,and prolly the same price or cheaper depending on what make/model you get.

i dont know if they would be as accurate as an autometer but the ctr and si cluster both go to 9k so you would atleast see a number, doesnt the jdm type r rev to like 8800 rpm stock anyway? anyone? if so webink then your tach isnt too far off. what i saw in a friends car years ago was a 3 3/8 inch style autometer tach in place of the stock tach, he just removed it and replaced it with the new one in the factory housing, looked awesome and stealth.
s40e624c924a11.jpg

Back