Take a look at this block cylinder 1 good or bad?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5speed

Hey guys i want to purchase this block. Its a 2.0 liter b18a with je 9:1 pistons, crower rods, darton sleeves, micropolised ls crank. But look at cylinder one. The guy who i want to buy it from said there are some nicks/pits around the outer edges of the pistons, he doesnt know what it is he said maybe spark plugs. What do you guys think? And do you guys think it's gonna be a big problem or could i just slap on my head and block and call it good? Block has about 1000 miles and was built by precision. Let me know what you guys think that is and if its good.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• b18.jpg
    b18.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 862
  • b18 2.jpg
    b18 2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,455
  • b18 3.jpg
    b18 3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 735
  • b18 4.jpg
    b18 4.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 847
Last edited:
hahah sorry cuz i had it uploaded on windows and i cant seem to get it onto anything else.hopefully you guys can see it.

the guy sent me these pics and i just copied it and pasted it.

I wish I could see. Do the Red "X"'s represent each cylinder? lol I tried viewing in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Can you upload to photobucket?

YAY! I can see. WTF? It looks like he had a clearance issue with the head but idk? I would hone the cylinders even though they look good and try to do something with the pistons if not replace them.

yeah cylinders look good, and pistons only got about 900 miles on it. money is kind of an issue right now, so im just wondering if this looks good enough to just slap had and tranny on and start drving around. if i had money i would hone and replace pistons, but as of now i dont. i have enough to get this. but do you guys thinks its good to go?

I would not see why it wouldn't work, just make sure you have plenty of clearance and try cranking it by hand while watching everything move to make sure. I picked up the tool to hone my cylinders for about ten bucks and it works very well. If you know anyone with a dial caliper you can take extra precautions to check compare the block to stock specs and make sure it hasn't been shaved. It may have been something to do with timing also. The spark plugs are in the center of the head and from the pictures, there are marks on both sides of the pistons.

wow 10 bucks only, most of the time we take ours to the shop to hone. yeah i was thinking it may have been the timing also, he said everything was professionally built by precision, so i dont know how those marks ended up on the pistons. all parts are brand new, and he had the motor at 15 psi and had 1000 miles on it before he decided to part out his car cuz he needed money. Gave me a good deal 1100 plus shipping, so i cant resist this offer.

Looks like he dropped the spark plug tip and had it bounce around for a while inside the cylinder? It'll probably be fine to drive around on for a while, but I would replace the pistons when you have the first opportunity. Alternatively, you could take that one piston out and sand the pits smooth. Your compression would be different in that one cylinder (already is anyway), but at least the pits would be gone and slow down detonation a bit.

thats looks like valve cleareance issue to me. Plug is in the middle of the head. The dings are on both outer sides of the piston.

i would say his valves were improperly installed on that chamber.

Probably built up too much carbon in the quench zones and smashed it between the piston and the head. Could have done some damage to the main bearing on that cylinder, and possibly could have caused damage to the rod as well. Probably not, but I would get those things checked out. If those pistons really only have 1000 miles on them, that car was running rich as hell. Could have also been a bit of metal from a spark plug or machining leftovers or something. Where is the head that was on the motor?

It does look like the tip of a spark plug bounced around in there for a bit. that sounds like the best explination.

he claims everything was professionally built, head was put onto block by precision. have no idea where head is, he's parting out his motor and i'm probabily gonna pick up this block.

by the way, my axel nut on the driver side keeps coming loose after i drive it for a while, or when i floor it down the road a few times.

Back