technical obd1 conversion questions 4 z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bobotron

Hey all -

Getting ready to drop this d16z6 into my 89 crx si. I want to go full OBD1 conversion. I already have z6 with everything that would normally be attached, incl. dizzy, vtec sol., o2, etc. (But no wiring harness).

Some questions...

Whats the best route to go with the fuel injectors, is there a difference in performance? Can I use my old crx ones, or do I convert to new gray plugs and use the z6 ones? And if I use the new ones, I assume I need to do something with the injector resistor box? And so whats the best way to get ahold of the plug counterparts?

Let me know if theres anything else im going to run into that I may not know about. I thought I was all set by having the p28 and wiring harness, but then I keep finding out about little tidbits like this..

Thanks in advance.

I have done my research on this... You can use your old injectors, dizzy and ECU, but you will have to find a way to activate VTEC. or you can do a obd0-obd1 conversion.. get a z6 wireing harness and do a little bit of rewiring and get a p28 ecu you can use all your existing hardware. it is up to you.. cheapest will be the first mentioned... just get something to activate vtec. p28 will run you $100, wiring harness could svary depending on the deal you get.. I have seen them go for $50 and you wouldn't have to rewire the enigne side of things. Jumper conversion harnesses go for about $100. so you are looking at about $150- $200 to conver obd0 - obd1. to just stick with obd0 - you are looking at about $20 to build yourself a vtec activator if you have it activated by rpm.

OK searching this site I found more about the injectors and all. The only thing im not sure about now is the MAP sensor stuff. I was going to leave the z6 intake manifold on, does that mean I need to find a z6 map sensor? Or is it already on the throttle body?

Oh yea. I should have added that I also have a p28 and wiring harness on the way... so theres no turning back now, im going OBD1. Just not sure about the details..

If you have the entire engine it will be on the throttle body.. i think it is on the back side of it.. like the firewall side.. Mitsu i think..

Wiring will be a bitch unles syou have the entire harness all the way back to the ecu.. if not you will need a jumper harness to convert obd0-obd1 and then rewire your new harness to the old one. actually your should just need to add the vtec wires and the rest shouild be inplace

Back