temperature problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's possible to clean them out but you might not be able to do it yourself.. it's probably easier to just get a new one or a clean one from a junkyard.

I don't know how much luck you would have trying to flush the cooling system with a garden hose either. Chances are if it's clogged it will all be in the radiator or heater core.

what if i bring it to one of those places that flush out coolant systems u think that would be the best way to fix my problem ?

Probably not if the radiator or core is clogged flushing it usually doesn't help by that point.

The coolant won't start flowing through the system much until the thermostat opens either.. so if you didn't get it warm enough to open the t-stat before (both radiator hoses should be hot) then you need to re-bleed the system and wait until the thermostat is open. If the temp gauge goes towards hot and the thermostat still hasn't opened I would replace it with another one and see if it works then.

Do that first and see what happens.

yeah becouse i just go tthe car and it has 220k and ive nevr replaced it soo i dont kno if it was replaced and the previouse owner dicked me on the rest of the tarde and wont give me any info on the car soo yeahh..

I'd probably replace the timing belt and water pump then anyway just because you don't know the history. If it breaks you're going to be doing some expensive repairs.

soo if i buy the new parts can i pt them in my self ?? or will i have to have a shop put them in and dont i have to have it like retimed or somthign ??? can i do all that my slef i kno i can put the shyt in but i dont kno abotu the timeing thing

Replacing the timing belt won't change the ignition timing from where it's set now, so as long as it's set correct right now it will stay that way. If you think you can handle installing the parts go for it.

You know, when I bought my civic, I bought it knowing it was overheating which is probably why it fucked up on me before I had to money to take it in to Pepboys for diagnosis then paid for a new timing belt and waterpump (installed) plus some other things. My radiator is brand new and the thermostat looks great. But the coolant will NOT circulate and neither of my fans work. I'll have to wait til I finish my swap to take it in.

lol dude i know how you feel ...

it seems like one problem always leads to another or no matter what you fix something else goes wrong.

lol its depressing ...

before you do all that work, blead the air out of your system again, i didnt see any one say it, but make sure you have your heat on in your car when you are bleading it, if you dont the air in the heater core will not get out and you will still have issues.

Water pump is typicaly something you can tell, like when you car starts to over heat, try acelerating real fast for a short distance, if your temps go down, probly your water pump.
***reasoning is the pump will flow more water at faster rpms, and if the blades are chiped and missing, it will typicaly bring the temps back down a for a little while****

and again to let teh air out or bleed it all i do is take off the cap correct or should i turn the valve and if i turn the valve shoult the cap be on or off ?

Yeah I do think I forgot to mention opening the heater valve..

so turn your temperature to full hot and run the engine with the cap off until the thermostat opens and it stops bubbling (hopefully).

alrighty i will try that now but yoo i just went 100 + miles an hour and runed the ehat on and the car cooled down and the heat worked fien for about 3 minutes then started to over heat again....

vanilladutch89alrighty i will try that now but yoo i just went 100 + miles an hour and runed the ehat on and the car cooled down and the heat worked fien for about 3 minutes then started to over heat again....

Hey dude, i said acelerate for short distace, not run your civic to redline in 3rd lmao. Typicaly just a quick down shift to 2nd is all ya need to test it ;)
But with that said id say you probly need a new water pump. When ya do it replace your timeing belt to, cause mayaswell while its off ;)

alrighty guys i beleive i found the problem.... it was the thermostat i took the thermostat out and it was a lil bent up and now running with no thermostat my car runs cool all day lol....

Ummm, yea that's not good. Your engine needs some sort of metering device (the thermostat) to avoid constantly running cold coolant through the block. You are eventualy going to warp the block.

damn.. soo you think i should put the thermostat back in ? and since i took the thermosat out and now it is not overheating any more then most likely it is the thermostat that was bad correct ?

Back