teraforming Mars?

good idea?

• hot- lets move to ma

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Apr 13 2004, 12:30 PM
wouldn't you have to live in a giant city-sized bubble on mars?

At first, yeah... But if plants were introduced after the initial terraforming, they could convert the carbon dioxide to oxygen, and perhaps sometime in the far future we could breathe outside.

Look at the anime Cowboy Bebop... That takes place on Mars in the far future... Looks just like Earth from the ground, clouds, blue sky from the thick atmosphere, etc. till you get high in the atmosphere, and you can see the reddish sky and dust. It would probably be alot like that. :)

Damnit-- we're not God, and we should stop acting like it. If we weren't there to begin with, we're not suppossed to be there. <_< Just my two cents.

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Apr 13 2004, 01:30 PM
wouldn't you have to live in a giant city-sized bubble on mars? like total recall?

It's -30 degrees in the summer, there's only trace amounts of oxygen, and the atmospheric pressure (or lack thereof) will make your lungs come out of your throat.

Yup. Bubble time, at least till we figure out how to 100% terraform the planet.

Originally posted by complicity@Apr 13 2004, 01:37 PM
Damnit-- we're not God, and we should stop acting like it. If we weren't there to begin with, we're not suppossed to be there. <_< Just my two cents.

We weren't in America to begin with.

Originally posted by Sabz5150+Apr 13 2004, 01:27 PM-->
Originally posted by E_SolSi@Apr 13 2004, 01:24 PM
Celerity
@Apr 13 2004, 12:56 PM
Why are there are craters on the earth side ?  Why a crater at the exact closest point on the moon ?  That shouldn't be possible by our known physics of the moon.

what???????

so it couldnt have come from an angle that missed the earth and hit the moon?????

Try shooting a person behind a building without hitting the building.

here is a scale model of the
Earth, Moon, Mars, Phobos, Deimos

To give you an idea of the relative scale of the Earth-Moon and Mars-Phobos-Deimos systems, take a look at the graphic. At the top you can see the planets Mars (left) and Earth (right) drawn to the same scale. Immediately below Mars is a dot labeled Phobos. While the pixel you see makes Phobos larger than it really is, it is drawn at the correct distance from Mars. A little further down, you can see a pixel identified as Deimos. Again, the one pixel size makes Deimos appear larger than it really is but accurately shows you the distance of Deimos from Mars.

Phobos is only 9,378 kilometers distant from Mars and Deimos is a little farther out at 23,459 kilometers.

While our Moon orbits at a healthy distance of 384,000 kilometers from the Earth

emscale.gif

not exactly a person standing on the other side of a building now is it?????
there is LOTTTTTS of space for something compleatly miss us and hit the moon

pic and text from this page:
http://www.astrodigital.org/mars/emscale.html

Originally posted by complicity+Apr 13 2004, 01:39 PM-->
Originally posted by Sabz5150@Apr 13 2004, 01:38 PM
complicity
@Apr 13 2004, 01:37 PM

We weren't in America to begin with.

Uh-- yeah, but we WERE on Earth, right? :blink:

Yes. Our human nature made us explore what was out there on the seas. Now that same nature makes us look toward the stars. Nothing is going to stop us from exploring space. We'll see man on Mars and maybe the first faster-than-light craft within our lifetimes and that's all it's gonna take.

Just as we weren't bound to one continent, we are not bound to one planet.

Originally posted by complicity+Apr 13 2004, 12:40 PM-->
Originally posted by DarkHand@Apr 13 2004, 01:39 PM
complicity
@Apr 13 2004, 12:37 PM
If we weren't there to begin with, we're not suppossed to be there.

How do you know we weren't? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Just an educated guess. :p

Maybe we started out on Mars, screwed it up, and to survive, transferred our genetic information into the local apes on this planet. :ph34r: :)

Seriously though, I don't know about that purposely placed moon idea though... People say things like 'It's just too much of a coincidence things are absolutely perfect here for life'... Well if things WEREN'T perfect for life here there'd be no life... Life requires those extraordinary circumstances to get going, so naturally it'll happen at those places with the extraordinary circumstances. :)

Originally posted by DarkHand+Apr 13 2004, 01:45 PM-->
Originally posted by complicity@Apr 13 2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by DarkHand@Apr 13 2004, 01:39 PM
complicity
@Apr 13 2004, 12:37 PM
If we weren't there to begin with, we're not suppossed to be there.

How do you know we weren't? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Just an educated guess. :p

Maybe we started out on Mars, screwed it up, and to survive, transferred our genetic information into the local apes on this planet. :ph34r: :)

I don't know about that purposely placed moon idea though... People say things like 'It's just too much of a coincidence things are absolutely perfect here for life'... Well if things WEREN'T perfect for life here there'd be no life... Life requires those extrodinary circumstances to get going, so naturally it'll happen at those places with the extrodinary circumstances. :)

Yeah, maybe, but since we're not able to survive there without a bubble around ourselves, and the fact of life existing on Mars is still hazy and there is no civilization whatsoever, I would doubt it. That's just me, though, someone might be able to come up with something completley different. :p

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Originally posted by complicity@Apr 13 2004, 12:47 PM
Yeah, maybe, but since we're not able to survive there without a bubble around ourselves, and the fact of life existing on Mars is still hazy and there is no civilization whatsoever, I would doubt it. That's just me, though, someone might be able to come up with something completley different. :p

Thanks to the Mars rovers though, we've found conclusive proof that Mars wasn't always the way it is now... That there was once running and standing water on the surface, which requires higher temperatures and a much higher atmospheric pressure...

i cant believe there are people here that actually think we might be from mars :roll: . Einstein said it best
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

no asshat
draw an immaginary line down the center of that to seperate Earth and Mars
it is just showing the distance the moons are from each planet and an approximate size difference (Mars' moons would be smaller than the 1 pixel they are represented as)

i used the pic to show that it isnt exactly hard for a meteor or whatever to hit the side of the moon closest to us while completly missing Earth

the size difference between earth and mars is to scale... the distance is not

the pic is just showing the size difference and the distance from each planet to their moon(s)

:roll: if you strip the Earth of all the water, plants, snow and other shit...you will find it is hit way more than the moon with space debrie....the moon looks pitted from craters because it has no snow....tree's.....grass....buildings.....highways.....ETC....ETC...... :roll:

Originally posted by Airjockie@Apr 14 2004, 03:21 AM
:roll: if you strip the Earth of all the water, plants, snow and other shit...you will find it is hit way more than the moon with space debrie....the moon looks pitted from craters because it has no snow....tree's.....grass....buildings.....highways.....ETC....ETC...... :roll:

true

Back